Sieg C6, Grizzly G0516, Hare & Forbes AL-60 Metal Lathe Modifications

Discussion in 'Machine Modifications' started by JimDobson, Jun 14, 2019 at 7:19 AM.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Jun 14, 2019 at 7:19 AM #1

JimDobson

JimDobson

JimDobson

Sieg C6, Grizzly G0516, Hare & Forbes AL-60 Metal Lathe Modifications

Known as the Sieg C6 or the Grizzly G0516 or the Hare & Forbes AL-60 metal lathe. A look at some of the mods that I have done on this 10x22 lathe.

2. Jun 14, 2019 at 8:08 AM #2

goldstar31

goldstar31

goldstar31

Haggis Breeder
    As you know, I have a C4 and I have already put in extra gib screws and really should put a lock in the same way as I put on my early Myford/Perfecto/or whatever vertical slide.
    Mine got extra gib screws but I 'pinned' the gib which followed the advice of George Thomas in his book 'The Model Engineers Workshop Manual'
    Really, if push came to shove and all that, I should make new gibs that don't require gib screws at all.

Whatever one says about Myford, much of the adjustment is from the use of laminated shims.

When I was fooling about, I replaced the gibs on one lathe with car body aluminium based epoxy filler and used thixotropic way oil as a release agent. I was surprised at the result! Well, dammit, this is the sort of thing that Devcon- and others sells for lathe overhauls.

Very inspiring, sorry to have stolen your post.

JimDobson likes this.
  3. Jun 14, 2019 at 8:24 AM #3

JimDobson

JimDobson

JimDobson

Don't be sorry, thoroughly enjoyed reading about your C4.
    I've watched a lot of vids on the C4 and read about them. I think they are a better machine the the slightly larger C6, if I was to replace my C6 I'd be very inclined to purchase the C4.