Shop Size

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, that is a huge garage, I cant even see a machine shop in there :big:

Kel

Just been viewing the links Tin posted. The skill and ingenuity that's shown in those portable workshops is truly inspirational. My workbench seems positively spacious by comparison!
And what can one say about Jerry Kiefer's work but th_confused0052 th_confused0052 th_confused0052 they really are masterpieces in miniature.

and to quote steamer :-
I have seen some amazing work performed on old worn equipment ill suited to the task....but with a brilliant "hand".

I'm sure I remember looking through some old volumes of model engineer were Tubal Cain set himself the task of building a stuart engine without recourse to any power tools or lathe (including treadle operated). used a carpenters belly brace , hand drill and adjustable reamers to do the cylinder bore. can't remember how he accomplished the rest, but i think he hand filed the flywheel rim to within .002" runout.
does anybody know what year/volume it appeared in? I'd love to read it again.

yours

peter

HI just a note my fens farther is a mobile black smith shoes horses for a living workind out of a back of a van with a forge and a anvil the life span of the vans is no more than 3 years caring all that wate in the back dus them no good seen him mack up a set of gates all out of old horse shoes

Clearly Steve, the part about whats between the ears is all you buddy......I keep looking at that V8 in amazement....... :bow: :bow:

KRV Here is the states most of the mobile blacksmiths are set up in a stainless steel trailer. neat rigs . There is a annual black smithing event / competition at a sort of local living history Museum. Rough and tumble @ Kinzers PA. I have wandered about there a couple time during blacksmith days.
Tin

first post :)

our man caves can never be "too big"

I'm form the U.K and used to have a shed of 8 x 6 (U.K standard man cave) i moved house just over a year a go and could not take the shed with me. so for the last year all my stuff has been doted around the house. lathes and press drill under the stairs, mill in the dinning room..... that sort of thing.

i have now built a 241 square foot shed (5x bigger ;D) in the back garden, all lined and insulated. over the last week or so i have been moving stuff in there and I'm struggling to find a home for it all. ::) ::)

hi tin i love watching him I'm no stranger to hitting things with a hammer but he makes it look so simple theirs sum beautifully work cums out of all shapes and sises of work shop in this forum I'm in or at sum of the work that gets dun regards bob

Here's a view of an ME's shed workshop ca.1890. Note the treadle lathe, and the coal heater under the worksbench. I've never been able to identify the locomotive.

workshop.jpg

blighty said:
first post :)

our man caves can never be "too big"

I'm form the U.K and used to have a shed of 8 x 6 (U.K standard man cave) i moved house just over a year a go and could not take the shed with me. so for the last year all my stuff has been doted around the house. lathes and press drill under the stairs, mill in the dinning room..... that sort of thing.

i have now built a 241 square foot shed (5x bigger ;D) in the back garden, all lined and insulated. over the last week or so i have been moving stuff in there and I'm struggling to find a home for it all. ::) ::)

;D I'm glad I'm not the only one with that problem!

Welcome Blighty

Dave

I'm also a member of the UK bunch.

Small house, small garage, no shed, but a spare upstairs bedroom, shared use I have one side the wife has the other. Is a length of kitchen worktop big enough, no, but then again I know I would fill anything eventually ;D

One thing I do know though, is that I enjoy my time in there and can happily say everytime I do venture into the 'playroom' I lean something new. So its good in my book. Also amazing to learn how far swarf can travel and how well it sticks into the carpet in the rest of the house.

Back