shop heating ?'s for winter

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after a long time on pondering on how best to heat my shop area. it was decided to leave the 3000 watt elec. heater in the wall and not replace it because of the cost. but i do plan to put more effective way to heat the area by installing 2x3 walls on my side of the garage (work shop). and with 2x3's only coming in 96" lengths the problem is to get the wall all the way to the ceiling which is 104". but i'm sure that another short piece can be added to the length by one of 2 methods. like just adding a lets say a 12" length to one side and extend that piece to make a longer 2x3. or add one of those metal spiked thingy's to lengthen the stud.and as for the doors to open up the area as much as can happen. it was decided to use closet doors which would be 36" each and make up a trolley to slide the doors on and have rubber seals at the bottom. or make up 2 doors myself using luan ply to make 48" doors.
but no matter how you look at it, it's all going to take time away from machining.

Last Winter I bought the parabolic heater from Costco to use in my work shed. All you have to do is point it to wherever you are sitting/standing and it will warm you up without having to warm the entire workspace. You can feel the heat from 15 feet away, or more.

Well, economys are important in todays world... so why not kill 2 birds with the one stone (if you really need to kill birds with stones that is...)?

I would have thought the answer was obvious.... a foundry mate! Before you start work in your shop each day....cast something! Have 'useful' heating......

Yes I know....im an Aussie.... we suffer form certain maladys..... comes from living in paradise where such heating issues are almost unheard of.... my shop only has 3 walls (see my avatar) and an old wood stove for 'ambient' warmth during winter...... ::)

To all our UK friends, thank you - thank you - thank you..... for sending my forebears out to here a couple of hundred years ago...I dont know what my ancestors stole or did.. but it was the best days work they have ever done :big: :big: :big:

Strewth Artie, it's alright for youse blokes out there in the never-never. Gets down to -14°C 'ere at Rockley. (and up to 44°C)

tel said:
Strewth Artie, it's alright for youse blokes out there in the never-never. Gets down to -14°C 'ere at Rockley. (and up to 44°C)

But mate...... you must admit you ARE the minority... not many places in Aus get near that low (mountain range dwellers....lol)...I think the worst its been here was -2 and the highest (gee just last year) was 49.

In case anyones wondering Tels in the Great Dividing Mountain range and im on the edge of the desert area (of which there is a lot! 70% of Aus in fact) but we are only about 4 to 5 hours apart.

True, there are only two police stations in NSW entitled to special cold weather gear issue - Rockley and Khancoban.

Where I live In Colorado, the humidity is not much of a problem. I have some tools I made when I took a machining course in 1983 that I never took any special precautions against rust and they are rust free to this day. :big: :big: They were put in he bottom of my tool box and more or less forgot about until about 4 years ago when I got my 7 x 12.

Ron

*bang* :eek:
I've just read through this thread for the first time. I too have been trying to figure out how to make my Man Cave a bit more winter friendly.... for about 3 years now. My best solution was to simply close up shop until the spring thaw. That idea hasn't worked all that well since I get a royal case of the fidgets when I can't go in there and do something to occupy my mind for a few hours each day.

A few minutes ago, I was struck by a blinding flash of an idea, which I'll credit you guys for. When I closed down my former business, we sold off everything that was useful.... except.... get this.... several Natural Gas, thermostat controlled, Radiant Heaters that hung from the ceiling. The building is no longer in use and I have no plans for any future occupancy, only wanting to sell the property at some point in time.

I just walked outside to find that my gas meter backs right up to the offset that forms the corner of my garage, making it only about an 8 foot vertical run for a gas line access. Tomorrow, I'll take a ride over to my former shop and check to see if one of the heaters is of a size I can use in my garage. Hopefully the heating solution I've been searching for is close at hand. Thanks for the inspiration guys!!

Steve

Good call Steve I don't know how you could have forgotten you had them stickpoke. If you look at the pic of my Austin you can just see the propain heater hanging off the ceiling 175k btu a few weeks ago I had another 10" of insulation blown in man what a difference. I like to be warm temp here now is 33 and windy all I do is turn up the t- stat and enjoy the warmth.
Dave

Latest posts

Back