Scroll Saw

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmshep

Reaction score
The years of using a hacksaw are beginning to take their toll and I am now suffering from tennis elbow so need to give it a rest.
I already have a powered hacksaw but I was thinking of something like a scroll saw to cut the more intricate shapes but not sure how good they are for cutting metal. Something that would cut up to say 1/2" MS would be good. If any one has any experience of these or anything else of similar size that will do the job I would be pleased to hear it.

Regards
John S

John,

I would be looking into getting a table top band saw. Preferably one with 3 wheels.

All of the scrolls saws I've seen are designed for wood working. The speed of the blade is way to fast for cutting 1/2" ms. I believe the best that can be done on a scroll saw is very thin aluminum or soft brass.

The only other alternative would be to build a scroll saw of your own or modify a wood scroll saw for a slower saw blade speed.

Bernd

I agree with Bernd,I have one and it is only for wood I wouldn't attempt metal.
Don

Hi John S.have you looked at the ''HEGNER'' scroll saw yet...a very sturdy piece of kit...might be capable of doing what you want.
John.

Actually I am building a scroll saw that is mounted on my lathe tool post and powered by the lathe. It will also be a die filer.

Dave

im sure you can get blades for cutting metal no problem but i dont think i would try to cut half inch stock so i would go for the bandsaw

Thanks for your replies.
I looked at using a band saw but the small ones I have seen are for woodwork and run too fast for metal cutting, Any one have any suggestions of a suitable band saw? It must have a small footprint to fit the available space.
John S

John,

I have one of the cast iron Chinese scroll saws, and it cuts non ferrous just fine, the same as my small Black and Decker bandsaw. As soon as you get ferrous near them, the blades just give up after a short while. I have fitted a tungsten coated blade designed for cutting ceramic tiles into the scroll saw, but the cut is very slow indeed because of the lack of tension I could get on the blade, and eventually, it too gave way. A bandsaw is not really the way to go, as they are designed mainly for straight work and depending on the width of the blade, can cut curves, but not as intricate as what maybe you require.

If you are needing to do accurate scroll work with thick steel, then a die filer is really the way to go.

Finding one at a good price will be your problem, as people who have them tend to keep them. I was lucky, SWBHart donated one to my shop as it was too big to fit in his.

File2.jpg

This was done as a quickie tryout using an upside down chainsaw file, took about 30 seconds, it is 1/8" brass, but steel would have gone the same way.
It is like having bionic elbows and arms without the effort.

File9.jpg

Bogs

If you can't find/afford a die filer, a small bandsaw is probably your best bet because:
1) The blade tension on the scroll saw is very light so you cannot lean into the cut.
2) On a scroll saw, all the work is done by very few teeth so they won't last very long even if you can find them for cutting steel.
3) A really good scroll saw (Hegner) is more expensive than a pretty good band saw.
If you do decide to get a band saw be sure to get one that can be slowed down to a blade speed that is appropriate for cutting metal r you'll melt the teeth of the blade in no time. Most of the small, low cost saws out there are set up for doing wood and will have a speed 10-20 times what you want for metal cutting. The best way to adapt an existing machine would be to add a jack shaft to drop the speed of the blade to a reasonable range. You could also consider a variable speed drive for the motor, but to get the kind of difference you need, the motor would be running at 5-10% of its rated speed and would probably be disappointment. I think I'd be on the look out for a 14" delta or clone and be prepared to gear it down. OR, maybe you'll get luck and find one of the DELTA's that has a gear-down in the case and can be switched between the high range for wood and plastic and the low range for steel and harder stuff. I have one of those and it works very well. Unfortunately, new ones are very spendy.

You can cut metal with a scroll saw. You need a good blade - I get mine here:

http://www.scrollit.com/Olson Scroll Saw Blades/Olson Metal Cutting Blades.htm

However, you really want a band saw. A variable speed outfit - here's the one I'm looking at getting:

http://www.micromark.com/VARIABLE-SPEED-MINI-BANDSAW,7913.html

It is variable speed, they sell a cooling attachment and metal blades.

Last weekend, I used an Olson #1 blade and cut 1/4" think mild steel 2" long on a variable speed scroll saw designed for wood working - just kept putting cutting oil on and took it slow. Hard to cut straight - had to mill the edge afterward, but it worked.

Personally, wouldn't buy a scroll saw for this purpose, but if you already have one - it can do the job - slowly.

*not associated with any of these outfits other than as a customer

Have the same saw (Oliver die filer) as Bogs.
Did change motor to variable speed using VFD but DC would work just as good.
Taking a fine tooth bi-metal hacksaw blade.
In the area where the blade will be cutting grind away the back so only a small amount of meat is left behind the teeth.
This allow tighter turns when cutting.

Leave the blade wide where it clamps on.
hacksawblade.jpg

32tpicut.jpg

Jewelers saw blades work good also.
sawcut.jpg

Latest posts

Back