Screwless vise dude

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Kevin, I'll make a start on them when I get a moment ...

Vic.

well, the screwless vise finally arrive!

im very happy with it and is very nicely made, so now is time to make the clams for the vise

seeing all of your pictures and googled a lot more, i have desing a new type of clamps for the screwless 8)(or that i believe, because i have not seen this one before)

p1030818b.jpg

p1030819p.jpg

p1030824r.jpg

p1030825w.jpg

and filnally the clams are ready!! intruduccin the new screwless vise clamps jajja

p1030831.jpg

p1030832v.jpg

p1030833h.jpg

p1030834.jpg

I clamp the vise with the clamping kit, but this is just for presentation, now i will made a low profile clamp specially for the vise

thank you guys for all the helps on this, now im very happy with the vise and can´t wait for use it in the mill for my comming projects

Saludos!

Anko,
That's a very nice solution. I like the way the pins are spread out along the sides.

I just have a single pin, similar to Vic's drawing, and the block is a little tall so there are some set-ups where the clamp gets in the way. I like the way you did it.

Congratulations!

Hi Anko,

Looks Great! I Like the approach!

Because the vice is hard....I would still put a sheet of paper down underneath though.....It really does work.

Dave

Nice idea Anko, I like those!

The clamp bolt (M6) was not very good on my 2 inch vice so I replaced it with a decent one but I've since made a new "toggle" or whatever you want to call it and am now using a M8 clamp bolt instead - seems much better!

Vic.

Omnimill said:
The clamp bolt (M6) was not very good on my 2 inch vice so I replaced it with a decent one but I've since made a new "toggle" or whatever you want to call it and am now using a M8 clamp bolt instead -

Hi Vic

I also got me a 2 inch (in about; in Europe its a 50 mm ) version of a screwless vice. I still use the original M6 bolt though i first thought it might be too weak. And even if it comes from china, it is really working fine up to now.

Before using it, i did following modification (Anko: That may be useful for you too... ;))
The ball cup in the clamping jaw had a very rough finish on my version. I then fixed the ball washer on a piece of 6mm steel rod (the hole is 6mm) so the rod does not come out on the ball end. (May use glue, a wooden mandrel made wet so it swells or Just press fit a brass or aluminum rod in the washer... )

After this, i've put some lapping compound into the ball cup and chucked the ball washer into my accu drill and looped in that washer by changing its direction permanently (to be shure the ball cup gets fitted to the washer on all the possible clamping positions)
Now the surface of the ball cup is really smooth as the ball washer is too.
Also he washer can now adjust to the right angle easily and really smooth.

Oh and one last hint: If you dont want all the chips to stick on the oiled/greased ball cup/ washer then use some powdered pencil (the softest one you can get)
Thats really working good because the pencil is made from graphite and other stuff (the softer the pencil the more graphite it contains...)

Cheers
Florian

Hi Walter,

You seem to have had troubles with this vice..."it was wobbly".....what part was wobbling?

Dave

walnotr said:
Since Dean hasn't chimed in, I will post a link to his tutorial on how to build your own screwless vise. Dean does amazing things in his small shop.

http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/mill/vise/vise.html

Steve C.
There wasn't a link to e-mail Dean, and others may be interested also, so here is my contribution to the "clamping action" of this sort of device:

When the variable angle is only in one axis use a cylindrical washer / seat rather
than a spherical. It is a LOT easier to make both the seat and the washer. I've
even used that technique on woodworking devices to good results.
...lew...

Back