Scrapyards in NE Ohio?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeA

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm wondering if any forum members who might be in NE Ohio would be willing to recommend scrapyards that are HMEM friendly? I live ESE of Cleveland in Geauga county and have not been able to find anything locally.

PM would be fine if preferred, but any help will be appreciated.

Best,
Mike

Hi Mike,
I'm over in Strongsville and don't know of any 'scrap yards' as such. There is a place in North Royalton that sells all kinds of 'material', brass, aluminum etc. They also have end mills and cutters. This is salvaged material but there are some good deals. When Rick (metal butcher) gets back from his summer hiatus I can get the name for you.
gbritnell

Hello George,

At this point, I'd be happy to find just about anything! I've been ordering materials from MacMaster Carr as well as several other sites, and the shipping costs quickly become a major factor.

Appreciate any information you can provide.

All the best,
Mike

Hi Mike, I went to HGR Industrial surplus today to look for a 3 phase motor starter. Found one for $26 and it was new. I always seem to find something there I can use for my projects. Today I also found some microfine finishing paper for polishing crankshafts. HGR is on Euclid Ave off of east 185th east of Cleveland.
This weekend is the gas engine show in Wellington, Oh. There is a guy who shows up there every year selling aluminum and brass stock. There is another fellow that came from Akron that sold the same but he hasn't showed in a couple of years. His name is Malcolm Young and he sells all kinds of material. I always seem to find material at engine shows in swap spaces. Last month I bought 140 lbs of 2024 and 7075 aluminum for $1 a pound at an engine show in New York. I bought everything the fellow had with him. Over the years I have bought quite a bit of al. and brass at engine shows and I have always paid less than market price. Dave

Hello Dave,

I went to HGR once - a bit overwhelming! One thing I noted is the vast majority of their inventory is large scale, heavy industrial, with very little 'sized' at what I would call Home Model Engineer category. Now it is probable I missed quite a bit just wondering around the acres of display area, so good idea to get back there and look around again.

Thanks for the information on the show in Wellington this coming weekend - that flea market looks as though it should be a good place to look for just about anything! I'll likely try to get down there on Friday.

All the best,
Mike

Back