S/S Machine Ignition

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks Steve!

I'm considering them for my Seadog in the event MjN doesn't come back to life....

Keep me in the loop if you could!

Dave

I ordered one of the complete systems last Wednesday morning. It shipped on Thursday by priority mail and I received it today, Saturday.

I did not find the magnets in the package, but I may have missed them as they are small. Packaging was several plastic bags with newsprint around them. No big deal for me as I already have magnets on hand.

The unit appears to be well made. The ground and high voltage wires are just twisted to the terminals on the coil, but I assume that is so you can shorten them for a neat installation.

Instructions are almost non existent. A couple of small papers saying to charge the batteries overnight and a few sentences about positioning the hall effect pickup.

Looking at the circuit board, the unit is made in China. Web site of the manufacturer is http://rccdi.com/. The website does not have much technical information, but it does have the inspection reports and certificates for CE compliance and RHOS (lead free) compliance. Also on the site is a list of about a dozen distributors in several countries. It includes several more distributors in the USA.

I have not tried the unit yet. I plan to install it on an existing engine that I built a number of years ago. It is a 3/4 inch bore X 1 inch stroke horizontal with a 1/4-32 spark plug in it. I need to do some work on the engine before trying it. Need to change the intake valve spring and make a new mount for the Hall pickup. It has a fixed position Hall pickup on it now and I want to make it adjustable. I have not looked at the engine for long time so there may be some other things that need cleaning up. The carb may need a little work also. It will probably be about a week before I get started.

Gail in NM,USA

Thanks for the review Gail.

I am also looking for an ignition for my twin cylinder WIP. (first IC)
I was reading that these can run from a single LIPO for several hours.
That would clean things up considerably.

Please let us know how you make out.

Thanks.

ordered it but have'nt gotten it yet................. :mad:

I'll ping the company.....and report back

Dave

My first time post. I have known Bill Carpenter (ch ignitions) for 30+ years and know him well. We are/were fellow RC ers, (I haven't flown for quite a while.) He has been manufacturing his ignition systems for years. I would be surprised if he uses import boards but don't know that for sure. I do know he has spent many years perfecting his ignition systems. He told me once that he had some local people winding coils so that sounds to me like he building his own stuff. He does know his onions and I would reccommend his product.

Cabo,

I agree, he does appear to know his stuff, but it has been 10 days tomorrow...

Glad to give him the benefit of the doubt though.

His phone was busy today, I'll try again tomorrow.

Dave

Cabo,

This is from the CH site....it is cut and pasted here, heres the link.
http://www.ch-ignitions.com/RCEXL.html

It would appear the units are from China....and he speaks highly of them.

Note from Bill
I have been searching for years for a ready built ignition system the we could sell for a lower price to the engine builders, engine conversion people and fliers. We have tested most of the ignition systems built in many countries. Some are good, some are not good and some are just BAD!
I have found a system that we now sell that I will put the C.H. name on.
It is custom built for us, by RCEXL in China. We will list these as CHXL products.
We have been flying this system for many months and it has proven to be very good.
We will offer a one year limited warranty on this ignition. Not covered, of course, is crash damage, wire damaged from improper installation, or reversed battery polarity.
The spark plug boot and cover can be replaced. The spark plug wire cannot be replaced but other wires damaged outside the case can be repaired or replaced. This damage repair is not covered by warranty. No parts inside the case can be repaired.
We are now able to offer warrenty coverage on version two models of the RCEXL and our CHXL.
The CHXL systems have Futaba type connectors. We can install Deans if you prefer.
These sytems all have the computer timing control with about the same curve as our C.H. systems. It cannot be changed. Timing will be the same as our C.H.-HD system and most of the other systems used today.
We have replacement systems for Zenoah, Fuji, 3-W, SPE, Brison and for most engines with a three-wire hall effect trigger. Some of these engines have the pulse switch wired differently and we may not know how every one is wired. Probably the easiest way around that problem is to install a three pin Deans on both the ignition and pulse switch wires. We explain in the CHXL instructions how to the determine correct pulse switch wiring and how to set timing if needed.
Most of the engines coming in from China are using the RCEXL ignition.This is a very good ignition but that does not mean that the engines are good. Some are good and some are "XXX". Read the forum on www.rcuniverse.com before buying any of these engines.
We can check most any Hall Effect switch triggered ignition to see if it is operating correctly and test run it if neccessary. Most of these ignitions cannot be repaired. Only the spark plug cap and external wires can be replaced on most of these systems.
Our service charge to check and test run your RCEXL ignition is $20.00. We do not want to get involved in doing R&D on the imported engines that are not ready to sell to fliers. Many of these engine dealers will probably be selling the RCEXL ignitions.
Some of these engine companies will be copying out instructions ands some will tell you to go to the C.H. web site for instructions.
REMEMBER, RC-Ignitions and C.H. have been building, servicing, and selling ignitions for 25 years. We can answer your questions. Where do you think you should buy your ignitions systems? I think Ralph at www.rcignitions.com will work on most any engine.

Hi All,

Spoke with Terry at CH ignitions today.

It appears the order just fell off the desk....not processed.

My CC had not been charged either.

Terry stated that he would ship the module out today ( complete single cyl ignition with magnet and hall switch) and that I should have it next Wednesday..

Seemed nice enough about it.

Dave

Hi,
I recently ordered a basic S/S CDI ignition for a small one cylinder 4 stroke model. I was specifically interested in a compact, easily concealable ignition system. I wanted to replace a bulkier TIM board with Exciter coil and a rather large 6v battery. Cost was about $60 with an integral coil, an optional power/timing LED, and 4 cell AA battery rack for NiMh batteries. There were a few warrning notes, but no wiring instructions. It was pretty much a common sense hook up, even for me. It is set up for a Hall sensor using a wired in three wire Futaba connector. You can also connect it to use points. The LED is used for a power ON light, but can also be used as a handy ignition timing indicator. My engine seems to run well on the S/S ignition. I have only run it for a few hours so far, and I am especiallyl pleased with the low battery current draw of the CDI system. The AA's required minimal charging.
Jeff

I'm new to this, but I'm finishing up a Jerry Howell design. The Plunket jr. I just bought his ignition the TIM-6 as a kit plus the exciter coil. Haven't started on the ignition yet but the instructions look pretty straight foreward. Anybody else out there have any experience with Jerry Howell designs?

Thanks Lee

I have used two of Jerry's TIM-6/Exciter coil igntion systems on slow speed 4 stroke engines that I have built. One engine has points, and the other uses a Hall sensor. The ignition systems have been trouble free (after I learned how to install a Hall sensor correctly). I have built two of Jerry's engine designs. His designs and drawings are as good as them come, and he is quiet helpful if you need any assistance. I have recently tried an S/S CDI ignition on a Hall sensor equipped engine. It also works fine. The basic difference that I have noticed is the more compact design, and the much lower battery requirements of the CDI system. If the latter feature is of no significance to you, either system will run your engine trouble free.
Jeff

I too looked at the TIM-6 but was concerned about the current requirements.

The lower current requirements fo the CDI made it quite attractive.

I received my package today. It came as advertised and with what would appear a nice set of instructions. This unit appears to be shielded which is a plus as I want to use this in a RC boat. I don't need radio interferance.....

Dave

Jeff;

Is the separation distance between the magnet and the sensor critical? Any other suggestions? I'm about to install one of Jerry Howells sensors and magnet using an MJN CDI I've had laying around for a while.

btw I've had nothing but excellent service with Jerrys parts.

thanks
Ray M

I don't have a TIM unit so I can't say.

I'll look into the CH unit though....

Dave

Latest posts

Back