Round HSS inserts

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I just ordered an indexable lathe tool for round inserts. I did not order inserts because I felt the price was too high.
I will use this tool in a fly cutter. Anyone have a good source for round HSS inserts that will not break the bank?
Chuck

do you mean tc inserts or just hss round section.If you mean hss then i just use broken centre drills etc.Round hss is not expensive

Reactions: gus
do you mean tc inserts or just hss round section.If you mean hss then i just use broken centre drills etc.Round hss is not expensive

This is the tool I ordered:

http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-611/indexable-iso-standard-lathe/Detail

This is what CTC says is the insert:

http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-721/MITSUBISHI-UE6110-TURNING-GROOVING/Detail

I was hoping to find an HSS insert that size.
If I can't find HSS inserts, I'll make them from drill rod.

Chuck

Sorry, I don't know much about indexable tooling or inserts.

Last edited:
What's the insert type? E.g, RNMA. Needs to match the holder.

As I said in my previous post, I don't know much about indexible tooling or inserts, but the type I bekieve is RC and size is 10mm, if I interpret the detailed description correctly.

Chuck

If the price is $45 each then thats robbery.You can get them anywhere for about $4 each.Ebay has 10 for $38 just confirm dia,thkness and holesize
if you search you will find them all over

Hi,
If you follow the 2nd link and click on the "Detailed Description" you'll see that the $45 is for a box of 10 inserts.

Reactions: gus
I believe that insert is held in the tool holder by taper pressure. The cutting edge is supported/locked by a taper "tit" behind the cutting edge. It could get thrown out during entry, exit, or interrupted cuts
I don't think it is a good candidate for flycutting. Make your own flycutter and use broken center drills, endmills, etc, at an angle to present the cutting edge to the work with built in relief by the angle. Using the principle of the tangent cutter lathe tool. I use such a tool in a boring head with broke and ground c'drills.
Research the tangential cutters and see what I refer to. The lathe tool is offered in Home Shop Machine magazine for one.

I made this for 12mm round Lathe inserts, it works very well. I really like the finish I get on Alloy with a nice sharp HSS flycutter but they wear quite quickly on tougher stuff. This carbide cutter holds it's edge on even quite hard steel.

IMGP1761_zps1d85c3ff.jpg

This is the Tangential Flycutter I made for round HSS, it works well enough and of course is easy to sharpen but I prefer my standard HSS cutter. It may be good for solid carbide rod but I've not tried it yet as I'm having trouble sharpening carbide even with a green grit wheel.

IMGP1237.jpg

For completeness this is the standard HSS cutter I use.

Fly2.jpg

I have round carbide that size, It is the the best cutter in brass ever, prone to chatter if DOC is to much. I would think its not good in light, loose machines. On material like SS you need to fool with DOc feed and speed to get a great finish, but nice when it all is right.

Once these round tungsten inserts have been dulled all around their periphery, just put them top face down onto a diamond lap and give them a few swipes up and down, you will find that they come out razor sharp and are then ideal for cutting brass and cast iron.

BTW, I have been using radiused edged tools for flycutting for many years and if you take your time they give wonderful and accurate mirror finishes.

John

Back