Round headed bolts

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4" angle grinder. Grind head off. Tap stud out, install new bolt and find good hiding spot for adjusable wrenches ;D

Herbiev said:
4" angle grinder. Grind head off. Tap stud out, install new bolt and find good hiding spot for adjusable wrenches ;D

hmm, hows that work for blind holes?

Cheers :)

Don

Hi Captain Jerry,

You've had plenty of advice on how to remove the bolt but here's some to stop him doing it in the first place. ;)

First, tell him that you are not going to help him the next time he uses an adjustable wrench! *club*

You will need to stick to that threat as if each time he does damage a bolt head he knows that all he has to do is come to you to fix it, so there is no incentive to use the correct tool. :mad:

Once he realises that you mean what you say and he has to fix it himself or pay someone to fix it for him he'll get the message eventually. :redface2:

Arnak

Hi Don. For blind holes where no welding allowed an EZ Out would be my weapon of choice. And still hide the adjustables. :big:

Herbiev

Yes , I have had to use a few EZee Out's in my day as well when you are running out of options. You don't have to hide the adjustable, you just have to know when to use it and when not to use it.

Cheers :)

Don

Arnak

You have no idea just how deep the hardness is on this head. Not the bolt head. The son-in-law head. He is a horse trainer, not a mechanic. Last month he asked me to look at a tractor out at the his training center. He has 34 thorobreds in training and it is a very busy and active operation.

The tractor is a Montana (Chinese made) with a front loader attachment. There are a number of bolts holding it on but the primary support is by three bolts on each side at the bottom of the lift cylinder bracket that go through a spacer plate and into the transmission case. On one side, all of the bolts were sheared off even with the case.

I pulled one of the bolts of of the opposite side to check for size and left to gather tools and supplies, including EZ outs. I was gone for two hours.

When I got back, the tractor was being used to load a mixture of wood chips and manure into the dump truck. Damn those Chinese transmission cases are tough.

I got the broken bolts out and replaced without much trouble using the EZ out. The bolts were the metric equivalent of a grade 8 and approx 2 1/2" long but the broken pieces were only about 1" long. I figured that they had worked loose and worked out about 1/2" before they sheared off.

On the other hand, he knows horses. We went to the track at Tampa where he had a couple of horses running. It was Kentucky Derby day and we could place a legal bet at the track. I know nothing about horses so I followed his lead and placed a complicated bet that included a trifecta with Animal Kingdom at the top.

I had started with a 10 dollar bet on the local races and following his lead had hit big on the last two races at Tampa. I put the whole thing on the Animal Kingdom bet and the long odds made the payoff big.

I'm sure he tells all his horse trainer buddies how little his father-in-law know and how he had to take care of me at the track.

It all works out.

Jerry

You're right Jerry, some are skilled with mechanical things and some have skills in other areas. And if your lucky,
you also have skills in keeping peace in the family.

Regards,
Mike

OT for the current problem of machine abuse

I friend at work long ago recalled that his wife, to enable the washing machine to empty faster used to pull out the filter , well a button when down and jammed the pump , so he fixed it , this happened twice the third time he when into the workshop and got the required tools and plonked them on the washer " you broke it you fix it " , well the washing piled up and up , but she did fix it in the end , guess what the pump never got blocked again.

You have shown him how to fix it next time give him your patent tool and wait , when his grass is waist high and he get grief from his SWMBO he will fix it

Stuart

Truth is, I'm retired with very little pressure on my time and I love a challenge, especially a mechanical challenge. Next time it will be something else and I'll get into it.

When I was cruising (on the sailboat, not the streets) the two most common topics at a get together were fishing and fixing. Cruising has been described as "repairing your boat in exotic places with minimum resources".
I still miss it!

Jerry

Herbiev said:
[...] and find good hiding spot for adjusable wrenches ;D

No need to hide them, just open the jaws as wide as they go and weld them there.

Had a similar problem bolt and cut a slot in it with an angle grinder, as kcmillin suggested. But then I milled a piece of 500mmx40x6mm steel to the slot thickness in the centre to fit the slot. Because I was pulling and pushing at either end of the bar all the force was exerted at the centre of rotation, the bolt, which then reluctantly unscrewed.

Remember using a 12 foot length length of iron pipe on a socket set with my back against the wall and both feet pushing - remarkably the second socket didn't split ;D

picclock

It's funny reading the suggestions for getting this bolt out. I guess we all don't fully grasp what we read at times, before we engage our typing fingers. The device is a mower, and the bolt has a 7/8" head for a 9/16 shank bolt (I assume) or could be a 7/8" shank then a 1 3/8 head. In either case a screwdriver slot is a bit off the mark, to remove such a bolt. An Eas-out will not move a torqued down bolt of any size, they are used to remove broken bolts, meaning zero torque on the threads from tightening.

Just LOL thinking of a screwdriver on a bolt that was round off with an adjustable wrench, no flaiming intent.

I HATE rusted/stuck/round bolts!!

When changing engine in my trackday car, i also wanted to change the differential. Turns out those bolts had been rusting the last 20years so all 4(!!) snapped with very little force, really annoying having 4 stuck bolts, under a car with no means of lifting the car up. Luckily, this being a trackday car, minor technical details does not matter, so i got the angle grinder and cut myself a big hole in the trunk. Cut away the welded nuts and replaced with normal nuts, guess it works good as i have not crashed yet :D

I know you could get a screw extraction set containing some very hard steel rods(i think they are squared), you drill a hole, hammer in a rod and use a special tool to grip it. I never used it, but they say it works great, if the rods handle the force, break it and you`ll have some serious problems.

In either case a screwdriver slot is a bit off the mark, to remove such a bolt. An Eas-out will not move a torqued down bolt of any size, they are used to remove broken bolts, meaning zero torque on the threads from tightening.

Surely tho', unless the bolt/stud has bottomed out, removing the head will release the torque?

in my day job scale mechanic I am often tasked to remove bolts that have been in a while. often out in the weather.
a socket and breaker bar are my friend as is PB blaster and plenty of never seize when things are put back together. when we are doing demo work on a truck scale and replacing the whole thing tactics are a bit different w do not fuss with 1 1/2 nuts and 3/4 studs they get torched clean with the concrete.
Tin

Heck, it's not always the younger folk (sons-in-law) that do stuff like this... my FATHER in law showed up one day in their RV, and he mentioned he was having some sort of issue with an aluminum window trim piece. So I come home from work, walk through my shop, and my eye is instantly drawn to my brand new 8" bench grinder.

The wheel looked like it was aluminum, not aluminum oxide. He had ground his aluminum piece to size on my bench grinder. The wheel was 100% loaded. I cried in a secret, quiet place for a while... :D

Latest posts

Back