Rotary valve in-line twin

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgjessing

Reaction score
I'm just kinda winging this ::) Wanted to make a "complicated" crankshaft, and an in-line twin will require that. I've been thinking about it for a while, but not making much progress on the drawings. So this afternoon I just decided to go ahead and get started on a major part:

rotary%20twin%20006.jpg

rotary%20twin%20005.jpg

...So we got the beginning of the "block". More to follow, obviously.

... and we have cylinder head:

rotary%20twin%20009.jpg

That's enough for today. Happy new year, you all ;D

Hi Dave. That's an interesting start on your project.

I'm curios, is there a chance you could post a drawing of what the completed engine will look like?

-MB

To add to MBs question, are you working from an established plan or is winging it meaning completely form scratch?

Eric

And the bearing/valve pieces in place and ready to be bored for the crankshaft:

rotary%20twin%20011.jpg

Got an R8 slitting saw arbor & some blades today, so it will have a bunch of fake cooling fins in it soon :)

OK, the bearings / valve have been bored for the shaft, air holes & manifold screw holes made in the valve body and head, and the "cooling" fins cut:

rotary%20twin%20020.jpg

Now onto the moving parts :)

I'd be further along but for being attacked by a stair case a few days ago, resulting in a sprained ankle :'(

I think I'm going to mount it at an angle - remember the Dodge "Slant Six"? Like that ;D

Not much progress, just the cylinder head pieces for the air distribution tubes:

rotary%20twin%20026.jpg

I took time out to do a new DRO for my X2 mill, to replace the "super cheapskate" one done with Harbor Freight digital calipers ( http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=14122.0 ). I really didn't know those IGaging scales were so inexpensive... Much better system ;D

Also spent an evening making myself a cane for the sprained ankle ::)

Air lines done, along with the two ends of the crankshaft (including the valve):

rotary%20twin%20028.jpg

Just broke my last 4/40 tap in the center section of the crank, so it's time to quit for the evening...

Latest posts

Back