Roary table questions

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmuir

Reaction score
I've decided to get the Vertex 4 inch rotary table and dividing plates.
This is the table.
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=R005

Now as this has a 2MT centre I was thinking of getting a 2MT ER32 chuck so I can use my ER32 collets on this.
I will only be using it at the moment to cut gears for clocks and at this time I don't want to have to spend the extra money on a chuck and the time learning how to make the back plate to fix it to the table.

This is the chuck I am planning on getting.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110447585472&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Can anyone tell me if this is a good idea or not?
I'm assuming it will be ok but as this is a lot of money I don't want to get it wrong.

This will be used on a HM-10 (X2 clone) mill.

Thanks Tony

my rotary table has an mt3 in it same as the lathe, ive used the tailstock chuck from the lathe to hold stuff but it didnt work too well because the chuck wasnt rigid enough, the collet thing might work ok though.

I lack experience but wanted to point out a difference to my RT...I don't know if it will mean anything...

The RT you showed has 3 slots (I don't know the names)...mine has 4...each 90 degrees away from each other. If you saw my thread on the Horizontal Mill you'll see how I took advantage of the slots..two opposing slots to lock a 'key' in, and the other two opposing slots that clamped a sliding block onto the key. I would not have been able to do that with your table.

My RT used SHCS to lock the table down with those clamps that are 180 apart. Make sure those handles won't get in the way.

My RT came with an adaptor plate to mount a chuck. Convenient, but it steals another 1/2" height from my Z.

My RT is 4" as well. The engine I was building called for a 6"...I managed to make do with the 4" but it's the same old question..."is it big enough"?

Hi Tony.

I have the exact same RT as you are thinking of buying and have found it to be an excellent piece of kit. I bought the 2 MT adapter that has the Myford thread so that I can screw the chuck off the lathe, compete with workpiece, and onto the RT in the mill and then back to the lathe again. The point that ZP has raised about the slots is a good one but hasn't bothered me so far. The 2 MT in the middle was a higher priority for me.

Cheers

Rich

."is it big enough"?
That's what I was thinking!Since the 6" is only 30 bucks more,I would go for that.
Assuming of course you have enough "headroom" on your mill.
I can't believe how cheap they are,Tony.Here in nz,the cheapest is a chinese vertex knock off 6" for $600!

Some personal observations on the subject, not meant as criticism or even direction...

In 30+ years of model engineering, it's never occurred to me to provide a means of mounting a lathe chuck on my RT. The awkwardness and loss of Z-height is just too big a price to pay for any minor benefits in centering time-saving.

RT work can be largely separated into two classes - dividing tasks and rotary milling.

For most of the typical ME dividing tasks, e.g., bolt circles, the work can be done more simply by coordinate drilling (good math practice), collet blocks or an improved collet block such as my homebuilt H/V version...

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=2554.msg22399#msg22399

Most rotary milling tasks I encounter either involve parts with a hole at the center of rotation or oddly shaped parts that wouldn't fit conveniently into a chuck.

In both cases, it's easy to locate and clamp the part directly on the table surface* - no chuck needed.

I'm sure someone who builds 1:1 scale battleships or such will chime in here and point out how wrong I am but, before you dismiss what I've said, give it some thought in the context of the work you intend to do.

--
* All smaller RTs can be vastly improved by adding a sacrificial plate. A plate with a diameter 2-3" larger than the table provides lots of room for clamping. Drill and tap the plate with any array of holes that suits your fancy and don't worry about how many T-slots the table has.

bentprop said:
That's what I was thinking!Since the 6" is only 30 bucks more,I would go for that.
Assuming of course you have enough "headroom" on your mill.
I can't believe how cheap they are,Tony.Here in nz,the cheapest is a chinese vertex knock off 6" for $600!

I'm hoping to buy it at lunch time today.
I've only got an x2 mill clone and even though its only an extra 2 inches the 6 inch is huge for my mill. But I will get them to get both out and compare what they look like on the mill but I'm pretty sure the 6 inch will be too big for my mill. If I even require more clearance on my mill I can always pack under the table to raise it up higher.
I like the idea of making a sacrificial table to go onto of it that I could then just drill and tap as I please to hold stuff.
I primarily want it for cutting brass gears but I'm sure once I've got it I will think of other uses for it too, like drilling the screw holes for the die holder I want to make for my lathe.

Bentprop I was surprised at how cheap I could get it too as I originally thought it was going to work out cheaper to buy a full kit from the US and psy the $150 postage than buy it here so I'm happy with the price.

But I need to go buy it before my wife changes her mind about me being allowed to have this for Christmas. I personally think the only reason she is letting me is because whilst I was away for work she bought a new christmas tree 'That we needed' for $400 :eek: and I told her with the tree costing that much we could no longer afford to put any presents under it. :big:

I also have the X2 mill and bought a 6" RT from Grizzly for $300.00 which included three dividing plates, the tail stock, and a clamping kit! I was worried about loosing head room with the 6" table, but thankfully this one was almost the same size as the 4" table. Here is the link for my RT. http://grizzly.com/products/6-Rotary-Table-w-Div-Plates/H7527

I also added a longer track for my Z axis and I can now move the head right to the top of the column of the machine. The track was purchased from Little Machine Shop. Com for $20.00. It also comes in the air spring kit for $40.00 which is what I should have bought.

Have fun with your new toy!!!

Dale P.

Thanks.
I've also got the air spring kit which I need to fit.
Still need to buy a few more things and make some clamps for the table but I'm looking forward to using it.

Latest posts

Back