Riser Blocks & Mounts Part 1

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chazz

Reaction score
I wanted to raise the lathe for a few reasons, more chip room, stop the gear change handle from bottoming out on the chip tray, I also didn't like the clearence between the carrage apron and the chip tray (finger pinch potential), and eventually ::) when I upgrade my motor I plan to mount it lower to have full access to the lathe all around thus I'd already have a new mounting spot. So, this past long weekend I had the shop pretty much to myself for 3 WHOLE DAYS! Thm:

Here we are getting ready for the trip to the gantry.

DSCN0087.jpg

Oh, we're here.

DSCN0111.jpg

Now for the lift.
DSCN0113.jpg

First I want to locate and mark the existing mount locations on the base.
DSCN0117.jpg

Now off to the Mill.

DSCN0132.jpg

DSCN0122.jpg

Check my spelling.
DSCN0133.jpg

Next I pulled out my very expensive Sterr-atoyo straight edge and clamped the risers parallel to each other prior to transfering the bolt holes to the chip tray.
DSCN0138.jpg

After drilling the stand bolt holes, the risers were again aligned and bolted down.
DSCN0140.jpg

Then I set the lathe down, aligned it and located the mount holes.
DSCN0141.jpg

One last drilling operation.
DSCN0142.jpg

A little love.
DSCN0143.jpg

A whole lotta love. :)
DSCN0144.jpg

Well that's it for part 1. (paint's gotta dry eh?)

Cheers,
Chazz

"Whole lotta love". I like that, Chazz!
I see you have another little lathe in the background there, too.
; )

Dean

Been concidering that exact same thing on mine. You just cant get under the bed and screws to clean anything out. I have held off this thinking of shortening the base or cutting out the pan and putting a chip drawer in. Got me thinking again and that aint good.

Latest posts

Back