Rick Is Thinking WEIRD Again...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now THAT is a good one rodbuilder!

Rick

One minor problem with all this "MICRO" generation idea. We use the power faster than our micro generation plant would be able to replace it.

You first need to eliminate the wasteful products in your house or unplug them. Take your remote TV for instance. Even though you turned it off it still is using power waiting for a signal from your remote. And how about all those chargers for your cell phone, do you leave them plugged in or pull the plug? How about your phone and answering machine? All a sucking a bit of juice out of the system. All those clocks in the devices such as microwave oven, coffee maker, clock in the stove, your VCR, should I go on? :D

Oh, by the way, do you leave your computer on over night?

Bernd

Rod builder great idea but itWould'nt last five minutes in SE England there is so much lime in the water it would clog in no time assuming you are going to use a propellor or screw of some sort in the water main, to power the charging unit you would need some sort of filtration/water softener which would need salts or fiter medium (or whatever they use)
just my two-pennorth! not trying to dampen the dream though, definately food for thought!
Max...........

Hello All: in reference to putting a turbine in your water line at your house--if it does any work (generating output power) it will lower the water pressure available at the tap. This could possibly be a good thing by lowering the water usage for instance in a shower head. Conserve water! Shower with a friend!

Where I worked we built turbines to put in water systems that had excess pressure and rather than use a pressure reducer valve, a municipality could put in a turbine and generate power and at the same time lower the water pressure. This works in places that have hills that when the water runs down to the lower elevation it raises the pressure at the bottom of the hill to more than the normal allowable pressure.

We were also approached about putting a sewage pump turbine in the basement of high rise office buildings and generating power from the sewage outflow at the base of the building. Just imagine all the people in the Chrysler building using the facilities in a day/week or even year. How much power is in that height and flow?

Another idea we worked on was a windmill turning a pump in a closed loop and the friction of the water flow would heat up the water and the the warm water could be then pumped to the house (or shop) to be used as a heat source. It will work, I had a 30" discharge pump on test running at 20,000GPM at almost 100PSI in a closed loop of 10,000 gallons and the water temperature raised up to 170*F. We even had to put up signs to warn people of the hot pipes. As if they couldn't tell that the 36" diameter pipes were hot as they walked up to them! Glad that test was in the winter rather than the 100*F heat of summer time.
don

What do we know?
We're just dumb toy makers!

Why build it? BECAUSE WE CAN!

I'm sure enjoying the brain storming that's going on here! 8)

Rick

I hope this aint considered a hijack but thought i'd share my little plan for a hybrid wind system that makes its own wind

pageplan001.jpg

this is based on two cone shaped objects

the out cone is polycarbonate (UV proof)

sunlight passes through the polycarb and hits the black surface of the inner cone

the light is turned into heat and the heat rises the heat also heats the black cone and if this is plate steel that retains heat this heat can be used as a "mass"

pageplan002.jpg

thankfully heat rises and creates a substantial force of air moving upwards

due to the compression created by the cone shape the air gets compressed and this compression creates even more force.

pageplan003.jpg

this force can be captured the same as with a standard wind turbine but instead of the wind propellors being long lanky and thin to capture light density air it is possible to use 80% propellors ( similar to a boat prop.)

pageplan004.jpg

this is the plan of my first stage experiment

it ran a dual power fridge (240volt/12 volt Oz) during the day and charged a battery bank to run lights and the fridge at night.

pageplan005.jpg

this got some interest from Flinders University ( Adelaide ) and they loaned me a lot of turbines

the effect of the cone and the denser air means that turbulence is not really a factor and allowed us to stack the turbines.

At a Aboridginal settlement at Wilpena ( near the big meteor crater in South Australia) we tested this rig

the internal black section was made into a water tank and the heat held by the water allowed the effect to continue for many hours after dark.

the differential of the air to the mass means the heat of the tank heats the cool night air and actually increases the effect.

The real problem was that BP took over the governments handling of funding for alternate energy and they only looked at Photo Voltaic systems ( they have blanket patients and so can force a percentage of any development income to be thiers)

hope this was not too big a post and not too bad a highjacking

excuse the plates these are from my powerpoint demo for attracting investment interest

i have a completed powerpoint if anyone is interested

cheers

jack

Jack :bow: :bow:

Very impressive. I definitely am interested in learning more and would be interested in seeing the balance of the powerpoint display. I am sure that there are others here that are equally curious. Thanks for showing us this Jack.

Cheers :)

Don

Thats a pretty fantastic idea Jack. There are a large number of places on this planet which need a simple, effective and clean way to generate electricity if things are to improve.
One of the great things about this setup is that it is automatic, it requires no manual intervention to start generating each day. This is also a downside however, how do you shut it off for maintenance? Two ideas immediately present themselves; One - perform maintenance at night. Two - A system of louvres or vents at the base of the cones to control airflow, close the vents to stop the airflow. This also provides a way to regulate generation, as you do not want to generate at full capacity the whole time. It would be fairly simple to rig up a scheme to monitor the output load and increase airflow, and therefore generation, if the load increases (and vice-versa). A similar idea would put the vent at the top, venting a percentage of the airflow to atmosphere, to regulate (or stop) generation.

Cheers Folks

i gotta figure how to post a powerpoint online..

but i have to find a new workshop first, long story but my shop is near bankstown airport and if the Aussies saw the news last night the new owners have put the rents up 500% and not respecting the existing leases
( i have 2 years left on mine but have to be out in 2 weeks or the new charges kick in)

this system costs about 10% of that of just the mast to mount the traditional wind turbine systems

i figure a 8000 watt version would cost about $21,000 AUD ( $16,500 USD) and provide hot water as well

and the colder the air the better it works ( differential effect ) cold air needs only a little heat before it rises as its denser and dense is best for turning wind turbines

if anyone wishes a copy of the powerpoint, PM with your email and i send it along

cheers

jack

Macca i like the maintinance idea, i was thinking of a clamshell design to open one side to negate the effect but vanes at the base would be easier and cheaper....

Macca there'll be a envelope in the mail this week, sorry for the delay i got distracted by this rent bunfight its sitting here still sorry

cheers

jack

Latest posts

Back