RC Helicopter kills operator!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BronxFigs

Reaction score
Just recently, in New York City, a 19 year old was killed when his RC helicopter went out of control, and sliced through the veins/arteries in his neck, and sliced off pieces of his scalp.

Before he could be given emergency treatment, he exsanguinated in front of horrified onlookers. Ambulance workers admitted that there was little they could do to try to save his life, and that his neck arteries and veins, were destroyed by the carbon-fiber helicopter blades. Within minutes the young man was dead at the scene..

Sorry to call your attention to this story. Please, take precautions.

Frank

PS: They (Politicians) are already talking about banning/restricting RC flying.

PS: They (Politicians) are already talking about banning/restricting RC flying.

When all is said and done this is perhaps the greater tragedy. It is particularly a problem in New York the state and to a greater extent the city. I realize most of the people in the city are complete imbeciles when it comes to anything mechanical or working with their hands and simply don't grasp the satisfaction that can come from using such craft, but it is not justification for taking away the individuals ability to make decisions for themselves.

From the story that i read, he was experienced and, sadly, his dad was president of an amateur helicopter assn.

Many years ago , I fly (try) helicopters. It is very difficult & dangerous. If a lever come of a servo............The heli goes anywhere & very fast.
I wish all the best for his Family & Friends.

Barry

That is very sad indeed, my condolances to his family.

I use to be a little into rc flying (flew a few time a Yak-54) and got out of it because I realized that this was a hobby more akin to danger to extreme offroad bikking (the high perfomance stuff anyway) so I sold the plane and got out of it. I think it's a exciting hobby but you absolutely must be aware that these airplanes can be very dangerous.

I still love rc planes and may get into it later on but for now I'll watch.

Cheers,
John.

some of those things have over 10hp electric motors and spin the blades a few k rpm so for sure something to be taken seriously.

Wow, this is awful. I feel for the family.

No matter how safe you try to be, accidents still happen.

this is all over the RC forums. loads of people jumping on the band wagon when only a few days before they didn't give it a second thought.

unfortunately this does happen with every thing. no mater what you do to prevent it or put in place to stop it.

yes, there are pilots that fly way to close and take big risks with there heli and them selfs. with the attitude of "i'm a pro/expert/ sponsored..... nothing will go wrong"

the safest thing you can do is not fly them in the first place, but where will that lead. I'm sure someone has been killed playing golf. lets ban golf.

Well, as an x r/c pilot of helicopters and quad copters, I am happy to say that I gave all that up earlier this year, mainly because of the increasing budget as I progressed into larger machines. The danger factor is always there and when I saw what a plastic prop did to a piece of 2x4, I sold the works.

If flown properly and maintained properly, the danger factor is decreased, but parts break, batteries die, receivers die. If you are too close when they do, this is what can happen.

My thoughts go out to the family.

I agree that this is a horrible tragedy. Can you imagine the news reports if this happened to a child?

Life is all about risks. No legislation will guaranty our safety....but it's designed to control us. That is, after all, the end-game. Total subservience to 'Big Brother'.

America...."The Land of the Free".....What a crock!

Frank

Latest posts

Back