R/C engine reconditioning / where three hobbies meet

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carbide_burner

Reaction score
I have, like many of you guys a number of hobbies. Due to the economic state of the world, it is now becoming more and more difficult for most of us to maintain all our hobbies :(

This is where three of my favourite hobbies meet: r/c cars and aeroplanes, computers and model engineering.
First I use the computer to do research, then I use model engineering to get my r/c toys going again! ;D

I have a Traxxas Revo 2.5cc monster truck that has been sitting on a shelve for months, because the engine is worn out. As most of you know, the engine is of the ABC variety. It means it has an aluminum piston and bronze cylinder that is chrome plated. The cylinder is taper, with the smaller diameter at TDC.

When the engine is cold, the piston will pinch at TDC, but as soon as you start the engine and it warms up, the bore will become parallel because the top of the cylinder is a lot warmer where the initial combustion takes place, than lower down the cylinder.

Although these engines do last surprisingly long considering how hard they work, they cannot tolerate a lot of wear. My engine is now at the point where it has become seriously frustrating to get it started (and to keep it going). I got a quote on new spares, and you can probably guess why it is sitting on a shelve......

Here is a site I stumbled across while doing a search on ideas how to fix it: http://www.rayaracing.com/prodtooling.htm There is a video one can download, explaining roughly what they do.

They use a series of dies to press the cylinder's taper shape back to original spec. I now have the idea on WHAT to do, but now I need an idea on HOW to do it??

Any ideas and experience shared will be appreciated to get my recon project going.

Bye for now!

I have been searching vigorously and came across this: http://www.rctech.net/forum/exclusive-nitro-engine-zone/112190-sleeve-pinching-2.html

A definite move in the right direction :big: :big:

---edit---
I now need to find out what amount of taper is build into the sleeve, so I can make a die. I wonder if a male die is necessary :-\ I guess there is a chance that the sleeve could go out of round if one only squeezed it on the OD...

Latest posts

Back