quick change tool posts

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13AL

Reaction score
I use feeler gauges i find at flea markets to shim up the cutters in my mini lathe tool holder, I write the gauge thickness on the cutter to save time but the height changes when the tool is ground/modified, would a quick change tool post be a good idea, it looks like they have a knob that adjusts the height??
Also, there is a choice of aluminum posts and holders and hardened steel sets.
The machine this would be for is a 7x10 mini lathe.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Kurt

13AL

ABSOLUTELY!!... QCTP's are the dog's danglers. Just pop them on and off the lathe and go. I'd be lost without mine. On a 7x10 lathe its not going to be a huge factor maybe other than possibly more long term wear on an aluminum one. I have a steel here that was bought from http://www.micormark.com but there are many places to get them, some better than others.
Steve

If/when you get a QCTP, you'll never know how you made it without one. In my opinion, that is one of the first things that should be either purchased or built for a lathe. It is a great investment!

Hey Kurt... You could always build one. The argument is that it is cheaper to buy one since the cost has come down so much... you can pick one up for $79 (last one I saw on E-bay). However, building one can be so much fun. ;D

Some plans HERE.

Eric

YES, that's what I like to hear, I'm going for it!!

Brass_machine- I am limited to making round items at this time but that is impressive. I really had no idea the amount of tooling you guys actually make, really amazing!!

Millless in VT
Kurt

13AL said:
I am limited to making round items at this time

Hi Kurt, don't sell the lathe short, it is quite capable of creating flat surfaces, rectangular prisms etc...but you'll need a four jaw and sometimes a faceplate & angle plate (a four jaw is the most important chuck; if you only have one chuck, it should be a four jaw). Our model engineer forefathers consider a mill luxury, sheer luxury! ;) I agree with you though, I like my mill and wouldn't want to have to do it all the lathe, just be aware it can be done and expands possibilities.

a QCTP is a very nice addition, i agree making or buying one really improves quality of shop life

If you buy a QCTP make sure you get lots of spare tool holders for it though! It's really annoying having to lose the pre-set tool height on one tool to swap over temporarily for another.

I have a little Taig Lathe and purchased a CNC machined hard anodised aluminium one from A2ZCNC. One a chinese import 7x10 lathe get a steel QCTP and pay what you can afford - don't get the cheapest as often the quality of finish and quality of cap screws etc is low too.

They are very satisfying to use, and as the majority of lathe operations are lots of small repetitive operations it makes it a little more rewarding. I'd also go for a QCTP that has two positions so once set up on your cross slide you can quickly swap tools over for facing and then fit a boring bar etc.

A lot of experienced machinists seem to get buy with bits of shim stock stuck to the bottom of the tool and old tobacco tins of tools kept with their shim bits...I think this was back from the days when QCTP's cost the earth, they are cheap enough now so get one!

A qctp will save a lot of time and headache there are many options. I have a A2ZCNC on my 7x 10 and an aloris a on the SB 9"
Tin

The only problem with QCTH's is the addiction to buying more and more tool holders for all your different tool bits.

Loose nut said:
The only problem with QCTH's is the addiction to buying more and more tool holders for all your different tool bits.

That's rubbish ???

I have three toolposts on three different lathes that share 48 tool holders and it's nearly enough ::)

Latest posts

Back