Question on Brass Sheet!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimN

Reaction score
Which of these are easier to work with as far as milling and such goes

C260 CARTRIDGE BRASS SHEET/PLATE

C464 NAVAL BRASS SHEET/PLATE

These are the only two types of thin brass that Online Metals carry, and since I am going to order from them would like to know which is the best for working with.

Thanks
JimN

C260 Cartridge Brass is intended for drawing and
forming processes. It is not very machinable.

I don't have any experience with the C464 grade.
Perhaps someone else here has.

Rick

I've had pretty good luck with machining Naval brass. It also makes for a much richer color tone. 260 can be a bit tougher to get a good finish.

Steve

Yea 260 machines like your ploughing a field....can't speak to naval...
Do let us know though!

Dave

What are you going to make with it, Jim?
360 is way better for machining, in general, but I use 260 for clock wheels and such for the same reason you are asking. OnlineMetals doesn't carry 360 in thin sheet.

Anyway, milling 260 is not great, but I wouldn't call it horrible. Turning it is another matter, and I would call it close to horrible, or bad, at least. It pulls off a crummy, gummy curl and takes some work to make a nice finish. Cutting teeth in it isn't bad, but leaves a somewhat stubborn pull out on the off side of the cutter. It saws just fine.
Don't know about 464. Sorry.

Dean

Gotta agree with Dean. If I were given the choice, free machining 360 brass is a pleasure to work with and finishes well.

Steve

Online Metals has a materials selection guide for all of their available materials.
Here is a link to the brass section. It lists all of their offerings.
The OnlineMetals Guide to Brass

Rick

I have 360 brass and yes it machine's nice, but the sheet does not come in it. So for my steam tractor will have to use either of the two above. But with less zinc in it, guess I will go with the cartride brass.

Thanks everyone

JimN

Latest posts

Back