Question for Sherline owners

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mklotz

Reaction score
I'm trying to help, long-distance, a friend who is trying to make new 'spinners' for the handwheels on his Sherline.

This will entail removing the existing spinners (the part that you grip with your fingers) from the handwheels. He doesn't know how they are attached - press fit, press + Loctite, threaded, etc..

Can any Sherline owners advise us how they are attached so we can get them off without damaging the handwheels?

Thread bolt with Phillips head. Must be Loctited in, tried loosening and it didn't give.
Thread is bigger then #5 (.125")
031310009.jpg

031310010.jpg

An overnight soak in Acetone or MEK; either one might loosen it supposing it is Loc-Tite based adhesive.

Try taking it from a boiling temp (212F) to freezing by immersing in two containers of water of correct temp. Thenfollow with the immersion in the Acetone. Might create some small opening in which the solvent could penetrate.

Not sure what the solvents might do to an anodized finish ???

Kermit

Wheel is actually even stranger. I got the tiny screw (Philips head) out, but then was faced with a monolith of aluminum rod. And I don't know how it's attached. Yet. But this is a spare wheel, and I will subject it to destruction testing if need be.

(First attempt here to attach a pic.)

I pulled the pin -- well, punched it out, but this sounded more dramatic -- from the Sherline handwheel.
Sherlinehandwheelapart.jpg

So now I'm looking at (so far) two replacements for the stock handle, one which will treat my old gentle fingers better. The idea is to machine brass slips over the shoulder bolts so they'll spin on the shafts. Should be a good challenge.
IMG_1068.jpg

Marv,

If it's the lathe, then the smaller hand wheels have the Philips head screws and the larger wheel has a circlip inside the 'spinner' after you pry off the end cover.

Will send pics if needed.

Bernd

Latest posts

Back