QCTP Toolholders

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimM

Reaction score
Hi all

I've just bought a AXA/100 style QCTP, but I only got 2 toolholders as I want to make a few more myself. I haven't got any steel of the right size but do have a bin load of cast iron sash weights and was hoping to use a couple of these but before I start can anyone confirm if CI is a suitable material ?

Assuming it is what's the best way to remove the outer skin, the weights are pretty rusty and look like they'd trash an end mill in 2 seconds flat.

Cheers

Jim

Jim,

I have been using sash weights for many years, with great success. Unfortunately, depending what part of the world you come from, does seem to affect the quality somewhat. Here in the UK, from a standard sash weight I can usually get 1.25" diameter x 12" long of good quality material, whereas some of the lads from the US find that theirs are absolute crap and almost unmachineable.

Getting back to your main question. Cast iron isn't really suitable for making QCTP holders. It is a very brittle material, and cannot take the bending forces that are applied by the clamping piston or deflection caused by tooling cutting forces.

I tend to use either EN1a (a free cutting mild steel) or chunks of cast steel that I was given. I am sure the others on here can give you other materials to use as well.

Hope this helps

Bogs

Sash weights are potentionaly pretty crappy material. They can contain everything from rancid butter to depleted uranium and will likely not make good tool holders. Seriously, as materials go they are a real crapshoot.

Thanks guys

Sort of suspected cast iron wasn't going to be up to the job but you live in hope :)

Just checked online and it doen't look like EN1A is readily available in the sort of size I need for the toolholders (30 x 40) but I can get EN3B - site says this is OK for machining but has anybody actually used it ?

I need to build up a stock of material so don't mind forking out if it's something I can use for other projects but if it's a total pig to work with I'd rather just buy some ready made toolholders.

Thanks

Jim

Hi Tin

That's a great price, I've emailed them to investigate the cost of P&P to the UK - although from previous threads I'm unlikely to get a response !

Anyway it wasn't so much the cost of them more that I could do with the machining practice!

Cheers

Jim
ps any idea how I get my location to show in my author details when I make a post, I've completed the info on my profile setup but it flaty refuses to show on my posts :(

Jim,

You would put your location in your profile where is says 'personal text'.

Good luck on the tool holders.

ps any idea how I get my location to show in my author details when I make a post, I've completed the info on my profile setup but it flaty refuses to show on my posts Sad
It show up now !! Magic???
Tin

IIRC a flat rate box is $40 to the uk and you can fit 18 in it . has been done to far parts of the world . I could be off on the numbers so someone who has done this confirm or correct me please.
Tin

I made a bunch out of 6061 T6 aluminum and they have been used for years without problem on a 10" lathe in a home shop.

Jim,

I had no trouble with CDCO tools to the UK. It took about 14 days.

If it is right what Tin says about the standard package and getting 14 in for 40 bucks, the total cost at todays exchange rate, including import duty and the post office charge for letting you know about it will be about 140 squid.

That means you should get about 3 or 4 free standard holders compared to buying them in the UK.

Bogs

Tin Falcon said:
IIRC a flat rate box is $40 to the uk and you can fit 18 in it . has been done to far parts of the world . I could be off on the numbers so someone who has done this confirm or correct me please.
Tin

Fourteen BXA holders go in one of those 20lb flat rate boxes, so I guess you will fit 18 or so of the smaller holders.

Hi all,

Just a message for Tin Falcon and anybody who wants a bargain. I purchased an AXA QCTP from the supplier you recommended for tool holders. I paid $170.00 AUS including delivery for this unit and also a mini mag base. I did not need the knurling and parting holders so Frank from CDCO swapped thease 2X holders for 4X standard holders so in total I have 6X stanard holders and 1X boring bar holder, the response from CDCO was almost immediate. I would reccommend them to everybody, excellent service and price. I saved about $150.00 AUS by buying from the USA rather than locally here in Australia.

Cheers Tin Falcon! Thm:

Anyway anybody looking for tooling at a great price check this bloke out

http://www.cdcotools.com/

Barry.

Back