Precision oiling

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GailInNM

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
In our hobby we all have to oil things. For those who build bigger engines a pump oil can is often sufficient for most needs. For those of us who build smaller toys small precision oiling devices are desirable. Four ounce oil cans of 3 in 1 or Starrett oils are often used as are syringes filled with our favorite oil. But no matter how careful I am in clipping the tip of one of the small cans I still get too much oil and I often can not reach into tight spots for oiling linkages.

Luer blunt dispensing are common and easily available on eBay and many suppliers. They are inexpensive and come in wide variety of sizes. They also will make a tight fit on 3 in 1 cans by just pressing on firmly. They would also fit the old metal can Starrett oil cans, but the newer plastic Starrett bottles have too large a tip.
Oil1_zps5da65926.jpg

Oil2_zps5be7ad82.jpg

I modified the cap of a Starrett bottle to take a Luer tip by cutting off the end of a 10ml syringe in the lathe and cutting off the spout of the Starrett bottle. After cutting off the spout, a 3/8 inch drill was run through to clean up cut off burrs.
Oil3_zps885014f1.jpg

Oil4_zpsbe174099.jpg

The syringe tip was then pressed through from the inside of the bottle cap. The 10ml syringe tip is large enough to seal against the top of the bottle making a leak tight joint.
Oil5_zps2bd7c996.jpg

And then screwed back on the bottle.
Oil6_zps4f1b3c85.jpg

Now I can change tips easily to suit the need.
The dispensing needles come in a wide variety of sizes and lengths. For me the most useful has been an 18 gauge needle either 1/2 inch or 1 inch long. They also come in 1-1/2 lengths but I have not had the need for that long a tip. 20 gauge is also used some times, but I find that the slightly larger 18 gauge is better for most of my applications.

A word about oils. 3 in 1 oil is not bad oil but I can tell the difference between it and Starrett when using it to oil precision tools. When oiled with 3 in 1, the slide on my calipers gets a little stiff after about 2 weeks, but works fine for 2 months when using Starrett. Of course the Starrett is harder to obtain and costs twice as much but as a can lasts me several years I don't think an extra dollar a year is going to break me.

Gail in NM

Now why didn't I think of that, I have plenty of syringes and needles, blunt ones as well, due to my home haemodialysis.

Paul.

Last edited:
Neat idea!

You could also just fill the syringe with oil which is handy for tight locations.

Latest posts

Back