Powermatic/Burke mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for everyone's input on the motor issue. It is greatly appreciated :bow:

Does anyone have an opinion on the mill? Are they any good?
Should I take a look or just walk away from it?

Hi Ksouers,

Can't give specifics about a Powermatic/Burke. I have a Logan/Powermatic lathe in that wonderful green and I love my lathe....some of the handwheels are kinda cheesy, but it turns straight.

You can make good parts with a worn lathe, but it's almost impossible to make good parts with a worn mill

Check the ways for wear. Check the squareness of the table to the spindle left to right and front to back

Do these checks with the ways locked and unlocked.

Also check the spindle taper for run-out

If all of that falls within your goodness criteria, and the spindle bearings don't sound like a clothes washer on spin cycle, it may be a good mill.

All these checks can be done with a dial indicator and a indicator stand/arm.

I was looking at a pristine Rockwell mill in just such a way as it is significantly smaller than my VN#12 and would be more suited to my future projects. In any case and to my amazement, the spindle was out .002" over the width of the table. It was scraped in that way! Go figure?

Do you have any pictures?

Dave

The only picture I have is the little cheesy one posted on Craig's List.

powermatic.jpg

It has some rust, but it just looks like a patina/surface rust. Won't really know till I take a good look at it.

I had already planned to check it out with a DTI, all the usual stuff. Also taking a machinist friend along to get his opinion.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this brand of mill. I've seen mills like this before but I've never used one, so I really don't know anything about them. I don't know if the thing is really flimsy or quite solid. It looks a little light weight, but it could still be quite solid and stable. I just don't know.

I have heard good things about them...And I keep waiting for one to show up in my area. Some of them I think (unless I am confusing it with the Clausing mill that looks similar) did not have R8 collets witch could be a problem getting tooling later-so check to make sure what collets it uses.

Whats the asking price?
What tooling is included?

Thanks Kenny. I haven't heard anything about them so I'm totally in the dark about their reputation.
Well, we'll see how it turns out. Talked to the guy today, it's been "lightly used" since he bought it. He mostly uses it as a backup for his Bridgeport. We go Friday for a look-see. It's really close to home, about 2 miles from my office, then another 10 home.

It comes with a Bridgeport vise, in the pics it looks like a re-badged Kurt, could just be a clone. We'll see. Also a couple of collets. It has an R8 spindle. I'm not worried about tooling as my current mill is also R8. Though I'll probably end up needing to make some new T-nuts for clamping.

The guy's asking $1600 USD, I'm going to offer less and see if he bites. I really want a Bridgy but they don't show up often around here. Those that do are usually newer and commanding a price more than I'm willing to pay for a hobby machine. Though with the economy tanking I should wait a couple months. I don't mean to sound like a vulture, don't want to see anyone lose their business.

That is about the price I have seen them go for also...I am interested in one because my shop is in the basement with only stairwell access.

If you want/need a Bridgeport though...this is no substitute!

So ................. just as a matter of interest guys .............. would this have been a good buy for this side of the pond .... 

>> :( <<

CC

CC,
Using the common $2 per GBP I'd say that was a very good price. I doubt that would've gone so cheaply here, maybe 1000 to 1500 GBP.
But I don't know what the esoteric value of a pound is. Dinner out tonight for me and the wife was $25 plus tip, call it $29 USD, at a local theme-type chain restaurant. Would 15 GBP sound right for a dinner for two? If 15 GBP was high, then the cost of the Bridgy was probably high.

Kenny,
Sorry, didn't mean to give the wrong impression. I don't expect this to be a match for a Bridgeport. Nor do I absolutely need one. I'd just like to have one. As long as this thing is better quality than a comparably classed import I'll be satisfied. At this point I'm really not willing to spend $3000-$5000 for a machine that will most likely only make parts for a hobby. I'm also fully prepared to walk away from it.

ksouers said:
Kenny,
Sorry, didn't mean to give the wrong impression. I don't expect this to be a match for a Bridgeport. Nor do I absolutely need one. I'd just like to have one. As long as this thing is better quality than a comparably classed import I'll be satisfied. At this point I'm really not willing to spend $3000-$5000 for a machine that will most likely only make parts for a hobby. I'm also fully prepared to walk away from it.

Understood ;)

I want one to replace my POS grizzly mill/drill (no offense intended to those who also have one :))

kennyd said:
Understood ;)

I want one to replace my POS grizzly mill/drill (no offense intended to those who also have one :))

That's my intention as well, to replace my X2. It would also be nice if I could get a little side work with it, maybe shaving some motorcycle heads or something.

ksouers said:
Would 15 GBP sound right for a dinner for two? If 15 GBP was high, then the cost of the Bridgy was probably high.

You can get 2 meals for about £15 GBP ............ it is around the bottom end of the price range though, don't get me wrong. we have a local Pub that does 2 for 1 and ain't bad for the price, but the kitchen is staffed by "Microwave Technician's", doubt there is a chef in sight .............. I'd say on average, a reasonable meal for 2, without going over the top is nearer £30 :( ................. heck it cost's us £20 for a Chinese take out for 2 ???

CC

Then it sounds like that was a really good price for that mill. Why'd you let it get away??? ;D

ksouers said:
Why'd you let it get away??? ;D

No room mate :( , plus ................ I've spent mi' budget (and a bit more) on the "spare" lathe, .............. best I sell one soon before SWMBO realises there are two ;D .............. fortunately ............. all things mechanical look the same to Mrs CC ::)

CC

CrewCab said:
.............. fortunately ............. all things mechanical look the same to Mrs CC ::)

CC

Lucky You, ;) ;)

CrewCab said:
No room mate :( , plus ................ I've spent mi' budget (and a bit more) on the "spare" lathe, .............. best I sell one soon before SWMBO realises there are two ;D .............. fortunately ............. all things mechanical look the same to Mrs CC ::)

CC

I fully understand the room issue. If this mill follows me home I'm going to have tough time finding a place for it. My shop is roughly 6 or 7 square meters. I guess I'll need almost 3 square of it for the mill ???

My missus see all machinery the same way as well. Unfortunately she does know how to count!

Well, I did it!

I bought the mill. Just got back from looking it over and talking with they guy. Took my friend Dan along. Dan is another ex-machinist with more experience than me. He agreed the machine is in great shape.

What looks like rust in the pictures is just that lovely patina that well aged cast iron gets that actually helps prevent rust. The real selling point for me was that on the ways all the original scrape marks were still quite visible.

Yes, it has some accumulated grime, that'll clean up easy enough. Everything worked very smooth. No doubt with a little degreasing and fresh lube it'll be even smoother. And it runs dead quiet! Dan put a rod to the spindle to listen to the bearings and said it was dead quiet. No clanking, not even a little.

We are arranging transportation this weekend, should have it in the shop and have better pictures by Monday or Tuesday.

Finally, some American Iron in my shop!

Congrats! That is great, and it sounds like you found an excellent machine!!

Serious tool aquisition envy....

Thanks W/E.
And especially thanks for the advice on the different options for powering it. That was extremely helpful. I'm going to order the inverter this week, should have it under power by next week.

Nice one Kevin 8) .............. sounds like you've got a good one there .......... please keep us updated ;)

Cheers

CC

Thanks for the replys guys.

You've convinced me that the VFD is the way to go.

CC,
That looks great! I like that reversable feature, though I don't see much use for it on a mill. But the quick stop would be a plus. What brand VFD did you use? American? Brit? Jap? Other?

Quick hole Tapping unless you have a tapping head, but use a key type drill chuck, keyless will loosen when reversed and will have to back tap out by hand

Latest posts

Back