Potential QCTP hazard

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob ward

Reaction score
The locking handle on a QCTP is unrestrained and rotates 360° when you don't have a holder mounted on the QTCP.

During drilling or reaming operations, when you don't necessarily have a tool on the QCTP, there is nothing to stop the handle rotating to where its not wanted.

I always make a point of having something on the QCTP to keep the handle locked, even if its just an empty holder.

This is not entirely true.

The handle on my A2Z piston type QCTP on my Taig lathe does in fact turn through a full 360 degrees but the handle on the wedge type AXA Phase II QCTP on my larger lathe does not. This may indicate a fundemental difference in the inards between the piston and wedge types of QCTP's.

cheers, Graham in Ottawa Canada

I have an A2Z on my C2 and an AXA Phase II on my 9x20, both piston types. Yes, they can move 360 degrees. But there is sufficient friction that they don't move due to vibration. If I bump them, they only move as far they get bumped, they don't swing freely as if on ball bearings.

So far I haven't seen it as a problem, or significant danger. Yes, I usually do keep a tool on the post, either the one I just used or one I'm going to use.

Kevin

good thing to remember . yes they may not but you never know untill gets ya.
Thank you. (me im not going to wait till it gets me no no no)

Sorry if this seems a silly question, but by QCTP I presume you mean Quick-Change toolpost ?

While I have seen pictures of ones with what appears to be permanently attached levers, the couple I have physically seen all use removable wrenches, so the same rules would apply to those as any other chuck keys etc - don't leave it on the post/chuck/etc.

I quickly checked mine (wedge type) - no way it can rotate 360, but without a tool holder it is fairly loose, so definitely NO leaving the wrench on it.

Arnold

Was never a problem for me, I was always to lazy to remove the last tool from the tool post unless it was really in my way. And then I usally put my primary turning tool on the tool post becasue it was the tool I was most likely to need (and that way I didn't have to go hunting for it...).

That's a good tip. I leave mine empty all the time when I'm drilling. Thanks for the reminder.

Latest posts

Back