posting photos

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lectrician

Reaction score
Sorry i am an old geezer and computers are not my strong point. how does one post a photo with their message. Yes i am brand new to this site.

To insert a photo in a message you need to have a hosting account so that you can put the address of the picture in the message. First you need to click on the "Insert Image" icon above. It is the third one from the left, in the second row above. It will insert a pair of brackets with the word "img" in between them. There are two sets and you will put your server address where the picture is located between the two.

You can also click on Additional Options below, and then "attach" a picture from your computer to the message. There is an attachment size maximum. See note after you click on the Additional Options below.

Hope this helps,
George

Hi Lectrician
welcome to the forum
Nothing wrong with being an old geezer.
I get called "The grumpy old git" at home and have the name plate on the shed door to confirm it.
Computers just another trick to learn ??? (old dogs can do any of the new tricks).

The image hosting account I use is Photobucket, its free to register and use.

I'm confused!
George, are you saying one can either post links to an external server (e.g. Photobucket)
OR upload direct to this forum?

Or does one have to do both?

I have begun to write-up a new thread, which will include quite a few pictures and would prefer to make the uploading, and the viewing as seamless as possible.

Geoff

You can do either.

- Upload to another server and supply links, inside 'img' tags ('img' http://urlgoeshere '/img' - replace the single quotes with opening and closing square brackets) The server doesn't have to be photobucket, it can be anything, but photobucket is a rather common one. The various image hosting services have their own limitations and rules. Flickr is another option.

- Attach the images to the post. This is done as stated at the bottom of where you type in the post text, under 'additional options'. In this fashion you are limited to only 4 images per post

Also, the first method lets you put the (no maximum) images in-line where you want them, as most of the Work In Progress type posts are. The latter method puts the (maximum 4) images as links at the bottom of the post, you can't choose where in the post they show up.

- Ryan

I think it is probably better to post from your own location rather than attach to the message. That way your pictures can be any size you want and they don't take up any of the much needed memory storage space on the CamBam server.

If you post from your own source, make the pictures 615 pixels wide. That will make them fit perfectly into the message format without have them bring on the bottom scroll bars.

Just a suggestion,
George

Back