Polishing

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnp101677

Reaction score
What is the best way to get a good polished finish? I’ve tried many things. I have some mothers polish and 600 grit paper, but I just can’t make my stuff look like some of what I’ve seen. Can someone please give me some tips that work for them?

Also, one the surface is polished, what’s the best way to keep looking nice?

Thanks,
Dan

Polishing starting with 600 grit unless the surface is already very polished will most likely not work well.

The start grit really depends on the depth of the machine tooling marks. I keep rolls of emery cloth under the lathe as they are course medium and fine I can not really say the grit. If the work is rough I start with the course stuff then work my way down.

If you are polishing a flat surface I work on a flat steel plate. Rub the work in a single direction so the lines are all going the same way. When you change to a finner grit switch directions and keep polishing until all the marks with the first grit are gone. Then use a finner grit and change the direction again. If at any point you can not remove all the marks you need to shift up to a courser grit to work the marks out before proceding with a finner grit.

Dan

I start by sanding with emery paper and then use three different polishing wheels. You can get by with just two wheels. You can get everything you need at Lowes or Home Depot.

I had an old Harbor Freight bench grinder (not shown) and converted it to use for buffing by removing the shields around the wheels and replacing the wheels with spiral sown wheels (about $5). I start the polishing process by using a felt wheel which is mounted on my drill press. It lets you press the work fairly hard to it and will plow through the sanding marks in fairly short order. I use the coarsest compound on that one, #1. The compounds can also be bought at the same stores for about $3.50 each, there are five grains. I have all 5 but only use two or three.

When all the sanding marks are gone I move the piece to the other two wheels and use the finer grits. On one wheel I have #3 compound and the last wheel has #5 for that mirror finish although the finish looks pretty nice even after the first pass with #1 compound.

The smaller wheels in the picture are felt wheels, I got them at the local flea market for a buck each and they last a long time. The wheel shown on the drill press is now on my grinder and so is the Lowes wheel in the package. I have one of the smaller felt wheels on the drill press now.

That's how I do it and it seems to work.

-Trout

DSC04680s.jpg

Trout,
Good point about the cloth wheels. I rarely put that much bling on a part.

I learned about cloth wheels and buffing compound at a jewelry supply shop. I had the handle for the Stuart steam hammer in my pocket. I showed it to the lady behind the counter and asked how to polish it. Her remark to me was "Wow what a nice piece what is it!" It was a suprise to have someone notice the workmanship in a part.

I have a lifetime supply of the buffing compound I bought that day.

For small parts check a jewelery supply shop for very small cloth wheels and mandrils that can be used with flexable hand shafts or Dremel types of tools

Dan

Latest posts

Back