PM-3B Steam engine kit

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronHorse

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I bought this PM Research 3BI kit from the Steam Show in Milton this past summer and I built most of it during the Xmas break. I also Incorporated a PM Dynamo that I bought from the same show last year. One day I hope to make the PM Boiler to go with this setup.

This kit was fairly complicated to machine for me, the base was the hardest, but I bolted it to a angle plate and was able to turn it around to mill all of the features. For the belt, I found a large rubber band, cut it down and re glued it back with crazy glue. I mounted a small LED to the dynamo terminals, but I will probably make something nicer later.I had the PM kit for the Globe valves from years ago and decided to finally build one, only took 6 hours ??? I hope machining the other 3 will be faster.

After all the paint is fully cured, I will fire up the Hardware Store Boiler and run it with STEAM ;D

PM-3B-01.jpg

PM-3B-02.jpg

PM-3B-03.jpg

Here is the Video

Thanks for watching
IronHorse

Great looking engine!!!!

I bought one made many years ago and restored it to working condition.
It has yet to be painted, although i like the plain metal look.
May give a few bits a polish...

Love the oak base you made for yours!
I really have to get a router and table to start doing stuff like that.

Great video and a nice slow run too!!
The dynamo is an excellent touch!
Maybe make up a street lamp like the old Jensen engines used to have?

Andrew

It does look good! Always nice to see an engine actually 'doing' something

lazylathe said:
Maybe make up a street lamp like the old Jensen engines used to have?

O-gauge model railroads are popular these days. Check in a hobby/web store that caters to those folks. They may have accessories like street lamps.

Also, dollhouse suppliers have all manner of low voltage lighting for their houses. How about an all brass Victorian chandelier? That should delight the bling-lovers.

Ironhorse

Very nice engine and dynamo. Looks like it is a nice little runner. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Cheers :)

Don

Back