Pile Driver

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SLIDINGRAM.jpg

View attachment SLIDING RAM.PDF

Looking at the drawing, I think that 3 magnets will work better than 2 since, when the "hammer" is released, the second magnet "180º apart" might just miss it and the effect will be the same as one. With 3 they are "120º" apart and although it will pass the second magnet on the way up, the 3rd will catch it for sure. I think that way the effect will be more realistic.

Noitoen said:
Looking at the drawing, I think that 3 magnets will work better than 2 since, when the "hammer" is released, the second magnet "180º apart" might just miss it and the effect will be the same as one. With 3 they are "120º" apart and although it will pass the second magnet on the way up, the 3rd will catch it for sure. I think that way the effect will be more realistic.
You may be right, but the attraction between 2 of those magnets is so strong that they won't fall past one and other. There is a magnet loctited into the top of that sliding piece i just posted.

I have some experience with those magnets and I don't think the moving piece needs a magnet.

Well, everything starts with one part!!! Tonight I made the hub for the top sprocket. (The other parts shown are just to hold it upright for the picture) I will weld it tomorrow. I am going to aim for at least one part per day.
003-3.jpg

Went to machine one part more today and the mill was stone dead!!! Checked the wall outlet, and I had electricity. Checked the machine fuse in the mills electrical panel---it was okay. Pulled the switch-plate cover off, and nothing was obviously wrong---nothing burned, no loose wires. Pulled the back cover off the electrical box, and couldn't see any obvious faults. Took another look at the fuse holder and seen that the back of the holder for the fuse had a crack in it.---Pulled the fuse holder apart and BINGO---thats where the problem was. Drove all over Barrie looking for an inline fuse holder, and finally found a store that sells an inline fuse holder for a 5mm dia. x 20mm long glass fuse. Came home, rewired the machine, with a rubber gromet in the panel and wires hanging out the back of the machine to the inline fuse holder, and finally I'm up and running again. Thats a good thing, because the alternative is to unbolt the mill from the base, drive it down to Toronto, and leave it for repairs.---Not something I really wanted to do.

And todays progress is---One gear reducer mount.--still in its uglified state, but I'll fix that tomorrow. I think this is probably the most complex part on the whole build, so I wanted to get it out of the way first. tomorrow, after a bit of file and sanding belt work, it will look a lot better.
001.jpg

Latest posts

Back