Philip Duclos Fire Eater

Discussion in 'A Work In Progress' started by CFLBob, May 13, 2018.

Help Support HMEM by donating using the link above.
  1. Jul 11, 2018 #61

    CFLBob

    CFLBob

    CFLBob

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2018
    Messages:
    55
    Likes Received:
    7
    The box came back as my safety to keep from accidentally putting a finger where it'll get hurt.

    SafetyBox.JPG

    Plain old cardboard box. I'd like to take credit, but it's my wife's idea. One flap is folded into it and the two pieces of cardboard make it thick enough that it wedges behind the lever with B and C on it. Yeah, I can push the box out of the way, but not the kind of brush against it that I might do by accident.

    I'm hoping that if I'm wrong someone searching the web for "SC4 threading" or "LMS3540 threading" comes along and tells me how to do it better.

    The graphite piston is cut slightly oversized, hollowed, drilled through and slightly oversized. Now comes the meticulous part of putting it on the push rod, trying to fit, taking it off the push rod, turning a little more and so on.
     
  2. Jul 12, 2018 #62

    CFLBob

    CFLBob

    CFLBob

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2018
    Messages:
    55
    Likes Received:
    7
    The piston is done and the size tweaked in. I can feel it pull a vacuum when I pull it or push it in the cylinder.

    Since the advise here wasn't unanimous, I decided to leave the piston walls 1/8" thick. No particular real reasons. The only portion of the piston made exactly to the plans for a metal piston say is the middle of the cap where making it too thick would keep the three threads on the yoke from sticking through.

    Cyl&Piston.JPG

    Piston_In_Cyl.JPG

    I'm really not sure what percentage done this makes me, but there's a handful of very intricate little parts that have to be done. The cam, cam roller, roller shaft, roller fork, valve and a few others.

    I'll say somewhere around half done.
     
  3. Jul 12, 2018 #63

    werowance

    werowance

    werowance

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2011
    Messages:
    382
    Likes Received:
    105
    Hi bob, was just reading your build. concerning the graphite piston, I just wanted to throw this out there:
    I just finished a flame eater and like to have never got it to run, the final solution was this:

    my cylinder was 303 stainless, the piston and valve were graphite. the 303 would expand so much when up to operating temp that it wouldn't run.
    solution was to make the piston and valve so tight that when cold the engine was completely seized up. but once warm it spun freely. I think the stainless expands so much more than graphite does that it was leaking to much vacume.

    but your build is coming along nicely. and looking good
     
    CFLBob likes this.
  4. Jul 12, 2018 #64

    werowance

    werowance

    werowance

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2011
    Messages:
    382
    Likes Received:
    105
    and on the piston yoke, that was the hardest part on mine to make as well. looks almost identical
     
  5. Jul 12, 2018 #65

    deverett

    deverett

    deverett

    deverett

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2007
    Messages:
    990
    Likes Received:
    174
    If you are anything like me, with 50% done that leaves only about 90% to go with all the forgotten bits to make and remake!

    Dave
    The Emerald Isle
     
    CFLBob likes this.
  6. Jul 13, 2018 at 3:35 PM #66

    CFLBob

    CFLBob

    CFLBob

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2018
    Messages:
    55
    Likes Received:
    7
    Interesting... My cylinder is aluminum, so expansion will be different. Probably worse, because I think aluminum has a higher CTE than 303. The piston pulls a vacuum. If I put my thumb over the slot on the cylinder I can definitely feel the pressure both pushing into and pulling out of the cylinder. There's a slight rough spot about halfway down the cylinder, but I'm not going to do anything about it, yet.

    I always thought the last 10% of the work took 90% of the time. That's how it was when I was working. I hope to finish by December.
     

Share This Page