Patina - should we let them age?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swede

Reaction score
Most of us have a book shelf full of our fun projects, large and small. 99% of them have brass, bronze, copper, aluminum, and steel.

Nothing looks quite like a newly assembled and polished engine. But unless you coat it with polyurethane (or similar), the brass and bronze will age, copper especially; aluminum will lose it's gloss, and steel will rust.

Obviously, no one tolerates rust, and it MUST come off. But I'm curious, how many guys regularly polish their brass and bronze engines and keep them shiny? And how many simply let the brass and bronze get that "olde tyme" patina, and simply rub them occasionally with a soft cloth?

I'm kind of torn on this. I've got a bronze vertical twin steam engine that looks 50 years old from the nice patina. And I've got an aluminum and steel deHavilland Cirrus under glass that looks brand new.

How do you guys keep your engines looking nice? Do you polish, or let them age, put them in an argon atmosphere in a sealed chamber? :big:

I try to keep things reasonably clean. That "patina" word is just a hoax to get suckers to pay more for antiques. It's just another word for dirty and un-cared for.

Dean-

I am not sure I totally agree with your statement "dirty and un-cared for".

Some people get a little carried away on the buffing and polishing thing, and it looks too much like candy sugar coating, not a real engine.

I also think that the aged patina look can increase the aesthetic value of an engine, not decrease the value of it. People don't pay big bucks for the old stuff because it looks clean and shiny.

I feel the quickest way to ruin the looks and the value of an old engine is to buff all the surfaces.

I guess to each his own opinion.
These are just mine, for what they are worth.

Pat J

Deanofid said:
I try to keep things reasonably clean. That "patina" word is just a hoax to get suckers to pay more for antiques. It's just another word for dirty and un-cared for.

:big: :big: :big:I agree with the first part of what you are saying but not so much on the second half.
I do believe some things look good with a little age showing and some not so much kind of like me my age is showing and it isn't pretty but I don't think buffing will help! :big: :big:

I fall in the "functionality over appearance" category. Polish them all you wish - just make sure they are run regularly and if they weep a little oil to prove it - so much the better.... ;D

Cheers
Garry

I find most steam engines have a polish all their own weather they're shiny or not.

Back