OT - something for the fishermen

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mklotz

Reaction score
One of the nicest things about a home shop is the ability to make unique items to support one's other hobbies.

I'm arguably the world's worst fisherman. One of the (many) things I have trouble with is tying impossibly thin leaders to tiny flys and hooks. While sitting in a boat bemoaning my latest fishing failures, I hit upon an idea to make things easier. Voila, the "fishing thingy" as my wife calls it...

FISH.jpg

The body is an aluminum rod turned to provide separate areas for winding leaders of different tests, their elusive ends trapped under small 2-56 thumb screws so the whole thing doesn't become a huge tangle. On top is a brass machinist's clamp that holds even the smallest fly or hook tightly. A small piece of spring brass with turned up corners is screwed to the vise. Line ends can be pressed into this spring and held firmly in place while the hands are otherwise occupied. The body of the thingy is drilled out to form a compartment for all the needles, tubes, etc. this tyro fisherman uses to tie those impossibly complex knots recommended in the fishing books.

In use, I hold the body of the thingy between my knees while sitting on the boat seat, thus freeing both hands to work on the knotwork.

Now, just so this post isn't completely off topic, here's a photo of my recently completed triangular tool post for the lathe.

TRIPOST.jpg

For any size work, but especially for small work, a triangular tool holder will make your life simpler by allowing you to get into tight areas where the standard four tool holder will have interferences. (Before anyone asks, I don't like the Aloris type tool posts. I have eight four-barrel, self-made tool holders with 32 of my most frequently used tools all shimmed up and ready to go by simply swapping out one tool post for another. I'm not about to buy or make 32 individual tool holders for an Aloris post.)

Once again Marv, lovely stuff.
Looks like I am going to have to take up fishing now, just so I can justify making your 'fishing thingy'.
You seem to be getting the hang of calling bits by their right names now.

John

John,

Don't take up fishing. Take up making fishing gadgetry instead and use the money earned to buy fish from the fishmonger.

Fishermen are like golfers. They're gadget freaks and generally have the money to buy the gadgetry. I have several machined brass knot-tying gadgets in my tackle box that any of us could turn out in quantity in short order. Then there are lures. It's a mistaken impression that lures are meant to lure fish. They're really meant to lure fishermen into spending money. There are no meaningful design criteria for lures but to lure fishermen you need lots of glitter, preferably polished brass, and mechanical complexity.

Fly tying vises (little more than a pin vise on an adjustable stand) can be glorified into over-designed contraptions that sell for hundreds of dollars. I've even seen one that incorporated ball bearings in the pivot.

Latest posts

Back