Oscillator steam inlet 'problem'

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SignalFailure

Reaction score
I'm just getting round to adding a steam inlet/exhaust to my little twin oscillator and can't decide which way to go. As I wanted to make it possible to completely disassemble this engine (for no particular reason just to see if I could make it that way) I didn't really want to solder in copper pipes. I plan to take the exhaust steam 'out the back' of the port block(1/2" brass angle) via a longitudinal 1.5mm hole.

For steam-in, my my favourite option would be a brass 'tube' (actually some 4mm rod drilled with a 1.5mm hole so de-zinc'ing shouldn't be a problem) sunk about 1.5mm into the block in a flat bottomed hole and held in place purely by the force of the cross-stays in the base. This would match the stays in appearance/sort of symmetry but I wonder if it would be steam-tight (I suppose that depends on how closely I can machine it!)? The blue bit in the image below is the part I'm talking about - sorry if my CAD skills are unconventional!)

Alternatively I could solder on small threaded connectors for union nuts but I'd prefer the former option - does anyone have any thoughts on this please?

This thread...
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=1007.0

and this picture might help

portproblem.png

TIA

Paul

Well I decided to go for an idea that I've used before - 5mm threaded section on 3mm 'stalks' with a couple of turns of thread on the 3mm section to hold it in place. Not much slack to play with as the angle is only 1/8" thick!

Anyway it's all done now (and the exhaust ports), but I'm going to solder these two bits in for security/steam tightness as it won't stop disassembly of the whole.

twinsteamin.jpg

Latest posts

Back