OOPS...Piston head sizing?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpcoe

Reaction score
Hello,

I am making the 1/4 scale Kinner K5 and just got done making the pistons. This is my first IC engine.

So where I went wrong is that I modeled the piston from the strictly IC prints. Then I made the cylinders which I ended up going .006 oversize on, so I decided to just match the pistons. I re-modeled the skirt to size, but forgot to re-size the top of the piston near the rings where it would normally be a few thou smaller for expansion, etc. La-di-da, I machined it to the model without thinking about it. :wall: Original skirt size was 1.086 with the top at 1.080. The re-sized skirt is 1.093 with the top at 1.080. The ring grooves were called to be .05 deep on the radius and I did so from the 1.080 so there is still plenty of land for the ring to seat in.

Sooo, my question is, do you think I can get away with this and have a run-able engine or am I going to run into problems with blow by or something from the top of the piston not being quite to size. I spent a bit of time on these and I'd rather put the time somewhere other than remaking them.

This engine will be run once or twice a month in the good weather months probably not at all in the cold and mostly be a display piece, so please let me know based on that.

Thanks for your help.

You can see the earlier part of the build here:
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f31/my-kinner-k5-9944/
Sorry I haven't updated it in a while. :hDe:

Greg

Having done the same thing with the Kinner 1/6 scale but for a different reason, my pistons ended up .010 smaller than the skirts to help install the rings. The engine has over an hour run time and all is well. Had one cylinder off at the 45 min mark to check a low compression problem and the ring and piston were just fine. Had a piece of sealer from an intake tube under the intake valve.

Don't see where you will have any problem with your sizes.

Good looking engine by the way.

Thanks

I have a feeling it'll be fine, but I didn't want to go thru the effort of making rings and all if I was setting myself up for failure.

Greg

Latest posts

Back