old torches

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Can anyone identify either of these old torches found in my late Dad's tools?
The first one I think is a carbide torch and works on the same principle as the miners lamps.
BucqgQWkKGrHqMOKnIEvyFryDd0BMYWrLJg_35.jpg

This one I think is an acetylene torch. All I have is the body. Has Craftsman JR. 624.54460 on it, left hand thread on hose barb.
Is there anywhere to get tips for this>

DSCF1020.jpg

I think the top one is fuelled with methylated spirits - you used to see adverts often in older engineering mags or practical mechanics.

Yes - the top one almost certainly burns alcohol. Fill both parts with denatured alcohol. The top cover ought to come off the tube at the left and reveal a fat wick. Light it, let it heat up the torch tip, and pretty soon you ought to get a pressurized flame from the tip as the alcohol in the right-hand part vaporizes from the heat.

Thanks for the replies folks. I'm currently out of Denatured Alcohol, but I will get some and try it. The right tube of the top one has a sooty look to one end and clean wicking on the other. The clean end also has a tint silver wire in it, I assume for poking debris out of the screen on the tip of the keft hand side.

Chuck in E. TN

chucketn said:
Can anyone identify either of these old torches found in my late Dad's tools?

This one I think is an acetylene torch. All I have is the body. Has Craftsman JR. 624.54460 on it, left hand thread on hose barb.
Is there anywhere to get tips for this>

DSCF1020.jpg

This unit is manufactured by Harris. Check with a local welding supply that carries the Harris line for tips, etc. for it.

Latest posts

Back