Old machining video

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cogsy

Reaction score
I just came upon this educational/vocational film from 1942 - apologies if it's been posted before - and it's a great watch.

Shows various machines and practices (safety glasses didn't exist in 1942?) and explains how if you are a good enough machinist, on all the machines, you could be promoted to - maintenance man!

There's a student/apprentice machining a model sized crankshaft at about 9:30 too.

It was just too interesting not to post. Enjoy.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egBezwsUJg0[/ame]

What a shame that most schools have shut down all shop classes. I took drafting in middle school and machine shop in high school. They shut down the program 2 years after I left.

Dave

Beside the lack of eye protection, I found it interesting that the machine repairman was a graduate machinist position. I think all machine operators should know how to perform maintenance on their machines.
This is a wonderful moving picture.
Bovine

What a shame that most schools have shut down all shop classes. I took drafting in middle school and machine shop in high school. They shut down the program 2 years after I left.

Dave

When I was in HS the machine shop was all gone except for one old broken down south bend 10K lathe that was in my auto shop class. I fell in love with it and fixed it all up while in class, Upon graduation my shop teacher told me to back my truck into the shop for a minute.........;)
Im still useing this lathe 23 years later and will never part with it.

When I was in HS the machine shop was all gone except for one old broken down south bend 10K lathe that was in my auto shop class. I fell in love with it and fixed it all up while in class, Upon graduation my shop teacher told me to back my truck into the shop for a minute.........;)

If you need manuals on your South Bend Lathe and other data you down load at http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/southbendmanual/

Dave

Wow. That is one hell of a graduation present. Well done

I just came upon this educational/vocational film from 1942 - apologies if it's been posted before - and it's a great watch.

Shows various machines and practices (safety glasses didn't exist in 1942?) and explains how if you are a good enough machinist, on all the machines, you could be promoted to - maintenance man!

There's a student/apprentice machining a model sized crankshaft at about 9:30 too.

It was just too interesting not to post. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egBezwsUJg0

Well the link to the video is not valid anymore. You'll get a message saying this instead:

"The Machinist and Tool Make..." The YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement.

copyright infringement.. REALLY???? more like revival to me!

I noticed it missing yesterday. Didn't see why. Who post something on youtube but doesn't want anyone to watch it? Strange.

Surely nobody would've protested about the copyright on a 1942 educational video. I'm guessing they infringed on some more modern material on their other videos. Pity, it was an interesting watch.

Back