Oil Spill Clean Uo in the Gulf

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leave it to 'good ole boy' engineering to solve even the most difficult of problems. My thoughts or questions center around the massive amounts of crude that is suspended below the surface that will never make it to the surface. Will the hay or straw be able to capture any of that. What these gentlemen are demonstrating has been used before in oil well spills but nothing of the magnitude this disaster has become. BTW, the media has been using the term 'natural disaster' quite frequently, no doubt due to the scripted press releases being fed to them, but let there be no mistake, there is NOTHING natural about this mess. It is strictly MAN MADE, and for a change, not in China. :(

BC1
Jim

I think hurricane season is coming up fast. I'm wondering what effect something like that would have on the oil spill. Sort of like a giant mixer, I would think.

-T

now thats thinking out side of the box its takes a redneck to do simple work ha ha give those nuckles heads something to think about .. i love it it just cracks me up how simple some things really are

bearcar1 said:
My thoughts or questions center around the massive amounts of crude that is suspended below the surface that will never make it to the surface. Will the hay or straw be able to capture any of that.

BC1
Jim

Jim,

I was thinking the same thing. But at least any of the oil that is on the surface would get cleaned up as it comes on shore. That's what they were demonstrating. I realize that is only part of the problem.

I just thought that what they showed could be a very simple solution to a large problem.

Bernd

I've heard that human hair is also a very good oil absorber. The oil that is "trapped" on the sea bed, isn't it due to the water pressure? If so, couldn't it be pumped out? Isn't somebody here building a pump jack? :hDe:

Bernd, yes, I do suppose that it could be a simple yet effective method to 'control' the oil that does make it to shore. I've often wondered, even after the first week, why the muckity-mucks did not call to have the well capped with cement of whatever they use, in the first place, instead of allowing the well to spew unchecked. To me, that would have been the most cost effective as well as permanent solution to this entire fiasco. NOW, they are talking about doing that very thing. Well hello, better to fix the barn door after the cows have come home.

BC1
Jim

Latest posts

Back