Oil Slinger lube?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steamer

Reaction score
Hi

Has anyone used a slinger to get oil under some pressure into the wrist pin on a IC engine model?

Here's a sketch
scan0001-4.jpg

Would like to evaluate this idea for the Seadog build....it's a thought.

Dave

Dave,
Interesting idea.
It might work. Provided you get enough oil splashing up to be captured by the ring.

Briggs & Stratton, Tecumseh et al used a wheel with vanes on it to create an oil mist in the crankcase. I've also seen some that had a simple piston and sleeve arrangement that was driven by an eccentric on the camshaft to pump oil to the various bearings.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I've seen this arrangement on steam engines, I'll run some numbers and see if this makes sense here.

Westbury's "Whippet" has a similar arrangement

http://www.modelenginenews.org/

Look under projects.....
What I don't know is will the oil just be turned to mist ....

Dave

I'm not sure if this will help, hell i'm not sure if it will work. I was concidering this for the Peewee project and will most likely try it. If the rod is put in correctly and the oil level is at the right height, i'm hoping the oil will be forced up to the bearing on the crankshaft thru the hole in the bottom. With the bearing being grooved and drilled, I think the oil might even make it up to the wrist pin. The bearing will have to be a tight fit to the rod to prevent it from spinning. There might even be enough splash for the remainder of the motor to get a little oil also.

Time will tell.

Steve

untitled.JPG

Oil has a fairly high viscosity even when hot so the mist is heavy droplets that fly around, they'll stick to anything they hit. As opposed to a fog where the droplets stay suspended in the air, though I'm sure that is also happening to some extent.

It's just my uneducated opinion, but I think as long as you have a good mist going on you'll be fine.

Thanks Steve and Kevin,

That form of connecting rod will work well with a windage tray. Westbury did that with the "Seal"
The tray keeps the oil from being misted so much. The tray is supposed to have a small hole that lets some oil up with the con rod hitting that every time around

I suppose that would work also for the Seadog. I plan to put this engine to work and would prefer something other than "Geussometry" for lubrication.

Dave

PS I plan on using the silver sheet bearing shells like the Colonna Offy. That will help

Here's a picture of the Whippet GA.

The crankcase breather which keeps the case at a partial vacuum was located on the right side on the gear case cover. There by pulling oil into the right side crankshaft bearing....
wp_ga.jpg

Oil coalesces on the left and drips into the crank ...supposedly...on the right, but I wonder how much oil can get in that little hole with a shaft spinning that fast....you would think it would just sling it out.....Hence the sketch above....

Dave

It appears that old BMW motorcycles and Fairbanks Morse marine engines used this set up regularly...

Gonkulations show pressures in my situation are ...by the numbers...in the .5 to 7 psig range, depending on speed
2000-5000 rpm, and the specific gravity of the oil....roughly 0.90.

That would seem sufficient for a low compression engine.....Now how to get it in there reliably.....

Dave

http://www.arcracing.com/servlet/the-2/Billet-Connecting-rod-honda/Detail

Here's the same thing for the Honda engine.....

It says forced oiling, so I believe there is a passage there into the shell. Ther bearings have oil holes top and bottom so I think there must be an oil groove on the outside of the shell or the big end ID of the rod to connect the two together.

It would appear to be putting the oil holes on a 45 with respect ot the rod, probably to keep peak bearing pressure away from the hole which would shut the oil off?

The Briggs rod had a central groove.

Either one would not be very adaptable to the silver liner approuch I was thinking of.
Perhaps bronze shells.

Dave

Until 1953 Chevrolet 216 cu. in. engines used a scoop on the end of the rods. With good bearings, they ran 15 PSI oil pressure. After 1953 they were changed to 235 cu. in. with an oil pump and were called full pressure engines.

I see no reason why a scoop wouldn't work as well on a model engine.

Back