• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

"Odds'n Ends" engine goes for big bucks

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paula

Reaction score
I was kind of surprised to see that someone paid $427.85 for one of Phil Duclos' "Odds'n Ends" hit & miss model engines on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/hit-and-miss-model-engine_W0QQitemZ200279729710

Not that some of these finished models don't go for MUCH higher prices, but given the apparent condition of this model, bad photo, lack of information, etc., it just kind of amazes me how much someone was willing to pay.

Here is the description:

"Selling hit and miss model engine. Engine has been in barn for few years engine ran when put away. Did not clean up not knowing what to really to use.Coil is located underneath wooding box. Engine is located in easton pa."

EBAYSALE.jpg

On the other hand, perhaps I'm naive. The buyer of this engine, with a bit of care, elbow grease, and a better ad, could conceivably double their investment. There do seem to be a lot of people out there who want to own a working model engine, who lack the skills/equipment/patience/whatever to build their own.

Paula

Exactly the reason I got my lathe and jumped in. I wanted a working engine, but even the non-running stuff always got bid up higher than I was willing to pay. 427 bucks - plus postage - was nearly as much as I paid for my first car. Hard to justify spending that much for a toy.

If one wants to sell model engines, I suppose that Ebay is the right venue because it allows one to connect with the relatively few people who really want to buy a model engine.

At exhibits, I've had folks inquire about buying one of my engines. I tell them they're not for sale because they're part of my hobby but they still want to know what they would cost if I were selling. If I quote a rational price - say $250 for a Poppin - they are usually flabbergasted. Most folks have no appreciation for craftsmanship and precision nor can they relate to the time involved in building these engines.

So now, if they ask, I simply say something completely outrageous like, "You're in luck today. I'm having a sale. Any engine on the table for $2000." (I don't know what I'll do if somebody takes me up on it someday.)

I don't think $400+ is outrageous for an Odds 'n Ends, even if it needs work. Consider that PMR

http://www.pmresearchinc.com/store/home.php?cat=346

wants $550 for a 1/4 scale Red Wing kit and $2950 for the machined engine.

Here's another one... decent pictures, more detailed description, that went for $345.00:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hit-And-Miss-Model-Gas-Engine_W0QQitemZ300277285931

No question, eBay is fickle, and these kinds of items appeal to a rarified group of buyers. But what surprised me about the first ad was how much was paid given the near-total lack of information.

I'm interested in the statement, "...they're not for sale because they're part of my hobby." I made the mistake one time of selling several of my completed models. These were larger models, and I was moving around a lot back then. These were the pre-eBay days, and I had no idea what these kinds of items were "worth", let alone what they were (apparently) worth to me. Stupid mistake.

I can well understand a premium price being paid for an engine made from a limited-run set of castings. But the Odds'n Ends engine, by it's very name, can be made from bits of scrap, at any time, from widely-circulated plans.

Paula

They're worth what some interested buyer is willing to pay. Cliche, no doubt, but exactly on point when it comes to model engines.

If you cost your time at as little as $10/hr and overhead and materials at zero, the cost to make any of our engines will still come out to a horrific amount - at least in the eyes of the average, non-gearhead person. And that doesn't consider profit at all.

I suppose that, if you built jigs and tooled up, you might be able to build dead simple oscillators that could be sold for a profit but anything more complicated could only command a decent price among collectors or rich aficionados.

They're part of my hobby in many ways. There's the obvious fact that they represent what I've done in the machine shop. They're also a type collection. I never build the same engine type more than once so each one is a unique representation of how one can convert heat into mechanical motion. They're also a historical record for me, showing how my skills have developed over the years. Finally, they're a legacy. My children and grandchildren are unlikely to remember me for the work I did helping ICBMs to hit their target cities more accurately but they may remember me as the old man who made little engines out of scraps of metal. I hope it's the latter - I much prefer it that way.

Paula :
I would think that engine went tot a collector restorer who would not think of building one from scratch. It was a preassembled kit that needds dismantling and a little TLC and cleaning up to them it was worth the price. Not doubt in good condition that engine would have gone for much more.

Tin

Considering the number of hours that probably went into building that enginer, the buyer got a real deal!

Chuck

hello I can answer some of your questions because the one engine Paula showed was one that I bought.Now I bought it for two reasons
1 It was less then it should be.
2 I am the type of person that feels I can do anything if I see it done rather then from plans. I am still learning machining and reading plans a picture or a real example I feel will help me become better at reading plans and hopefully machining.
3 when its all said and done and I get the motor running I can resell and get back my money and more to me its like having a teacher I can see more clearly the way in should look or compare and say that's wrong it should be like this.
4 Someone here made a good point a red wing is 495 for a kit
when you put 20 plus hours into it who is going to pay 2000 plus for that motor/ IN my opinion that motor should be 250 300 tops
5 hope that answers some questions
6.My goal is to be build a motor right from my head that runs well and looks good. I have been trying very hard and so far I am striking out..And my hope was this form One of my major problem sames to be lets say a part need to be .525 I picked that out of the blue I have a very hard time making that exact size 99% of the time I will be under I am hoping a dro well help that some parts a little under is no problem but manty times it means a lot.
7 and as far as plans go if the plan scale is 2:1 that means to me if the part says 1 inch 2:1 means the plan is 2 inches but that never sames to work out.

There's definitely a different mindset of a model engine machinist vs a model engine collector. I hadn't really paid attention to that until I went to a local show here in SoCal. There was a guy showing quite a range of nice model engines, many running on air. I asked him some of the history of a few models and he didn't really know since he was just a collector and probably purchased the majority of them. So me coming from a *************** bent, I'm more interested in the machining and operation.

Mike

artrans said:
The engine Paula showed was one that I bought. Now I bought it for two reasons...

Well, in that case I'm glad that it went to "one of our own"...
woohoo.gif

I hope my post didn't come across as a slight against the buyer, I just didn't think the seller provided a good enough description to justify the selling price. Perhaps you have a better feel for these things. At any rate, I hope it works out for you, Art. :)

Paula

Latest posts

Back