Novel uses for concrete rebar?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thad Swarfburn III

Reaction score
The builders left several pieces of concrete rebar when they finished with our extension.

Any ideas for handy uses for this stuff? It's high tensile, innit?

Several years ago when I was repairing guitars we hung an 8 foot piece from the rafters by guitar string, attached an old contact pickup to it, plugged it into the amp, and had a dandy gong. One good whack and it would ring for a couple of minutes. One of us would tap it, and the other would play the AC/DC... You had to be there.

I'm looking for something more practical.

Matt

I saw one thread where they made tent pegs. Turn one end to a point, then weld a short crosspiece to the other end.

Speedy said:
anyway we can see it without joining?
im very curious, may be a cool project 8)

Sorry, didn't realise you had to be a member to see it.

I have the picture on my hard drive, but 2 things stop me from posting it.

1 It isn't mine, so there is a copyright issue.

2 Even if that wasn't the case, as far as I can see you can only post pics from a web address, or Photobucket etc. There doesn't appear to be a button for insert image from your own hard drive?

hi Steelmaster
try additional options, attach file
regards Rob

RobWilson said:
hi Steelmaster
try additional options, attach file
regards Rob

Hmm, learn something every day, not all that intuitive! I belong to several forums and all have different ways to upload pictures.

Using this method however doesn't allow you to click on the picture and view it?

DSCF0077 []-1.JPG

rebar pen looks AMAZING! :bow:
I would like to make one.

Handle for the homemade brass hammer
Handle for the homemade lead hammer
Handle for the pin wrench for the coller block ring
Drill an axial hole and two radial set screw to hold a tool bit while grinding. Give better control and keep finges from burning.
Drill an axial hole and use as leverage for the bench wise wing nuts.
In a desperate situation can make a boring bar.
In general for any application where fine grain A1 drill rod is a waste.

Hi tensile strenght? Not really, is just a grade above slag. When machining you cross zones of different hardness and grain size.

Brushed, oiled and blued is almost attractive.

Garden stakes,paint stirrers,burglar beater upperer,That's about all it's good for.
Oh,wait,reinforcing concrete Rof} Rof} Rof}

I got bored one day and made a rebar log cabin with it about 1'x1'
probably the heaviest toy house ever.
I wish I had taken a picture of it, I think I was 15yrs old

Krown Kustoms said:
I got bored one day and made a rebar log cabin with it about 1'x1'
probably the heaviest toy house ever.
I wish I had taken a picture of it, I think I was 15yrs old

Oh man, that's a great idea. ;D Chop a bunch of pieces to length, and notch them in the mill, make an everlasting set of Lincoln Logs. ;D

Just be careful if you weld it. It can become as brittle as glass. I have seen people weld it on as steps to a steal pole, but in my experience once it is heated by the welder it is not a safe item to use for anything that will hold weight.

Try it sometime and see what happens. Heat it up till its red, let it cool, and hit it with a hammer. It will shatter.

Dale

Back