Noted Problems with this recent attack

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, how about sending in some donations to support the site ? I know it's a labor of love for the owner folks, but I'm sure they'd appreciate some pizza/beer $

How about it owner dudes ? Is there a PayPal addy we can use to toss some coin yer way ??

Mike

Wareagle,
Thanks to you and all others who sorted this out. I know that it's was not nearly as much fun as building toys.
Gail in NM,USA

Proud of you guys. A bit of searching shows there are a LOT of sites that got hit, many of which won't be able to do the magic you have. Great guns to all who worked at it.

Steve

ChooChooMike said:
Hey, how about sending in some donations to support the site ? I know it's a labor of love for the owner folks, but I'm sure they'd appreciate some pizza/beer $

How about it owner dudes ? Is there a PayPal addy we can use to toss some coin yer way ??

Mike

Mike, that is a very generous offer. However, I will decline. Take that money, but some stock, throw some tooling to it, and share a picture of it. That is reward enough for me!!

Steve and Gail, your comments are much appreciated. I do believe we will be one of the first to have this problem completely licked. The "support" from SMF is basically band aids at this point. I don't think they realize the extent of the attack.

We're all over it!!

Our Administrative team.

"THEY ARE THE BEST of THE BEST"
wow.gif
mgeye-popping.gif
wow.gif
mgeye-popping.gif
wow.gif
mgeye-popping.gif

Guys, we moderators are not administrators of our site and like everybody else we offered our best suggestions and watched our top guys show us why they are the TOP GUYS.

Best Regards
Bob :bow: :bow:

Cliff said:
Couldn't log on to site for two days kept coming up with some junk about hotel reservations. starting to into withdrawals great site Cliff.

It's like crack cocaine... unfortunately my supply had been laced and cut with some junk! Glad the supply is clean now!

Eric

:big: :big: :big: :big: :big: :big: :big: :big: :big:

Hi all,
I`ve been lurking here for several months now.

BUT, the very weekend I pluck up courage to join in.....
This happens! :-\

Made me wonder...... Is it me?? ???

It`s nice to be here at last..... ;)

Stilldrillin, welcome to HMEM! We are glad you are here and that you have left the ranks of lurker! Feel free to join in anytime!

And as far as you bringing in the spam ads, I can say with almost 100% certainty that you did not. Unless you are a member of what appears to be every forum running this software!!! :eek: Oh yeah, and also a hacker. ;) It's a big mess, no doubt!

Hey!
Send ME the money!
I need more BEER!!! :big:

Now, REALLY!
HMEM was created to be a free public site.
It will remain just that!
The bills for keeping it online won't be due for another 12 months.

I DO appreciate ALL of the offers I have received for the financial support here!
Times are tough these days.
Use that money to take your in laws out for dinner some night.
It won't kill you and it certainly wouldn't hurt the home front attitudes. ;)

We all have things we can effect. It is up to US to do that!

I am NOT a religious man, but the serenity prayer adopted by AA gets to me.

It starts out like this:

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change
the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

It's not about money.
It's about a dream....

Rick

Another update:

Throughout this ordeal, we have been trying to keep the members informed as to what has been happening behind the scenes regarding the hacker attack. Hopefully that effort has given all a little comfort!

A milestone has been reached! We are well on the way of having the site software squeaky clean. There remains much to be done, but the HMEM team is working diligently to complete the process. The scale of this attack is enormous. There are a great number of forums that have the same issues that we had, and I am afraid that many more are out there that we simple don't know about. It is a shame!!

A couple of things you may notice is the speed of the site increasing slightly. As we haul out the trash, there is less that has to be done to bring you the pages of this forum. We are aware of a few issue that are happening at this time, mainly with avatars. In the next couple of days when some other tasks are completed, I will set up a squawk thread for you to list any issues that you may be having. In the meantime, please pardon the glitches and just know we are working as fast as we can to finish this up.

Thank you,
W/E

WE,
Just a note to let you know I can now download and view all jpeg's attached to posts. ;D ;D Something I hadn't been able to do for a few months. I didn't change anything on my end as I have been away for the past several days.

Cheers,
Phil

I am noticing that some of the later replies to threads seem to be for other threads. Example: last two replies to Poweder Keg's cannon thread.

Philjoe5 said:
I can now download and view all jpeg's attached to posts. ;D ;D Something I hadn't been able to do for a few months.

That does seem relevent Phil, thanks .............. strange ............. but very relevent, to be honest I'm lost when it comes to programing these days but no doubt our technical guru's will pick up on this 8)

CC

CC,
It's really quite simple...

11001010001010000101011100100100010010001111001010001001010001010001001000100100101100010110101010100010010010100010

Phil,
That's interesting. Could you elaborate a bit?
Do you recall when you started having problems? Could you see avatars before?
Was it with all pictures or just certain ones?

I know it may be difficult to to remember the details, but anything you can recall may be useful.

Thanks,
Kevin

Thanks Kevin ;) ......... I will comply understand ;)

btw .............. I think you dropped a zero 18 from the right ;D

CC

CrewCab said:
Thanks Kevin ;) ......... I will comply understand ;)

btw .............. I think you dropped a zero 18 from the right ;D

CC

This one, "0"?

OK, looks like we have a solution for the avatar issue. If you have noticed problems with avatars you might try clearing out your cache. All web browsers store data locally on your machine so that it loads faster. For you dial-up guys, this usually means much faster than if it had to reload everything from the server.

For Internet Explorer:
Open a browser window, click on "tools" on the menu bar. A window will pop up. In the middle of the window will be a catagory called "Browsing History", and a button labeled "Delete...". Click on Delete, another window will open, you now have the option to delete one of 5 categories of files, or towards the bottom is a button to "Delete all". Click it and answer "yes".

Firefox:
Open a browser window, click on "tools" on the menu bar. Select "Clear Private Data" from the menu. A window will pop up with several options. Click the check box for Cache, the third item. Then click on "Clear Private Data Now".

Your cache should now be cleared and hopefully no more problems.

Please report any problems you may still be having to this thread.

Thank You,

Kevin

Kevin,

I use Firefox and my V3 is a little different,

Click on tools - options - advanced, in offline storage is a clear cache button, click on this and the cache will be cleared.

I tried your suggestion and when I hit clear private data - It did - no mention of cache or other options in clear private data.

Do I have something funny with my browser ???

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back