Noob seeking advice and ideally a raw materials list to just look at for now.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mat2001uk

Reaction score
Hi I'm Matthew.

I been thinking about building a mini V8 for a while now, with no idea what for.

Then I read about the Randall Cox straight 6 and thought that might be more practical, in miniature, for cruising around town.

Maybe in the future a V8 on a longer Cali-style board for longer trips..

Is it even possible?

I'd love to see a really rough raw materials list to start getting an idea of price.

Treated myself to a Dremel 9000, bench and press stands on the way. I think this could be a good first project..?

M

p.s. dislocated ankle, broken leg. Feb 27, I'm sitting around for another 3 weeks minimum with nothing to do but read, and I bought some woodworking tools today for my pallet wood coffee table (potential instructable, not sure if it worthy).

Before you worry about material costs, you need to figure the costs of a good lathe and milling machine required to build such an engine. Than add about half as much again for tooling and accessories to go with them.
The couple blocks of aluminum and bits of steel needed to make the actual engine will come in at about a couple per cent of the above.
And budget maybe a thousand hours of your time, maybe more.

Love the concept though. A V-8 skateboard. Awesome!

It sounds your serious and not yanking out chain. While it is nice to think big, you would have about zero chance of doing it on your first. Just like a skate board, you need be to learn control, before you try the triple turn backflip.

So your choice of machine tools would allow you to make a side cover for that engine, and little else. You have come to the right place for advise though.

All the folks here were where you are now, some when they were 12 years old, some when they were 50, and most in between. So learn to saw, drill, thread and file, then get some metal working machines, lathe first, then a mill. Now learn to turn and mill, while holding size. That last bit is the most difficult of all.
Make a stuff, simple first then more complex. You will likely lose that engine idea, maybe end up with a steam locomotive, or a grandfather clock, whatever it will be something you have made.
Make chips, have ideas, enjoy.

You need to learn to crawl before you can walk and i think building a V8 will be a few years down the track ! When i was in high school i wanted to build a twin counterrotating crankshaft V8 but when i got a job and started to use lathes and milling machines i soon realised that there are many hurdles to jump when building miniature engines which are compounded by the number of cylinders - i.e. building a multi cylinder engine is a lot harder than a single cylinder engine .
I would recommend you start with a simple wobbler engine because you can make these without a lathe or milling machine .You really only need a drill , some drill bits , a flat file , some basic marking out tools , a hacksaw and a small blowtorch so you can solder parts together or you can use epoxy to glue parts in place .The ability to cut a thread will inevitably be required so a simple tap and die set would help but not required first up . The way i built up my stock of materials was to keep an eye on eBay, any scrap bins that i came across and if i had to buy material for a specific project i always bought a little extra for the stock shelf . Even junk on the side of the road can yield some useful materials , old printers are a source of small round bar and stepper motors for example .

Thank you all. Really nice variety of replies, and the advice was much appreciated.
The pain pills quite prescient. I've never had a prescription for codeine and morphine before, never want one again.
After more research, no one has ever tried this but lots of 2 stroke models (which I knew about) do.
https://thekneeslider.com/design-and-build-a-two-stroke-engine-with-no-machine-shop/ ...do you think I stand a chance at that?
M

Thank you all. Really nice variety of replies, and the advice was much appreciated.
The pain pills quite prescient. I've never had a prescription for codeine and morphine before, never want one again.
Ive broken a few bones and never needed medication. Sounds like you made a mess of things with the ankle. You might find yourself machining body parts in the future.
After more research, no one has ever tried this but lots of 2 stroke models (which I knew about) do.
https://thekneeslider.com/design-and-build-a-two-stroke-engine-with-no-machine-shop/ ...do you think I stand a chance at that?
M

Very interesting. If you will be stuck at a desk for 3 weeks such a build might be possible, just don't expect the engine to produce a lot of power.

You might be surprised to find that Henry Fords first engine was made out of plumbing parts. Im assuming some machining was done with those parts. In any event you would be in good company if you got such a machine to run.

Im with others with respect to practice, even the use of hand tools requires some time to get to the point of being able to do precision work. The same applies to machine tools, it would be extremely rare for somebody fresh in a machine shop to do lathe work to the quality and precision you see in these forums. It simply takes time!

As for skate board power, you would need to build a higher quality engine requiting access to machine tools. This especially if you want it to run for more than a minute or two under power. Buying or better said investing, in such tooling is a long term deal as few can afford to buy everything at once. In many cases you will find yourself making tools and fixtures to make the parts to make the engine. Machining can become an obsession. In any event all of the tools you end up making are skill builders that help you down the road.

I might add there is a device called a thumb engine that you can get started on with very limited equipment. Find something that passes as a flywheel, some bar stock, possibly even some hardwood, a larger base (usually wood) and some effort with hand tools and you can build something while sitting at a bench and not need a lathe or mill. You should be able to find info on the net. The point here is minimal investment in tools and materials.

M

the first think to overcome is the doubt that you can't do it. I bought a ex army lathe (13" throw 34" bed) in very good condition for £400 and an excellent Bridgeport for £800 and normally machine to 0.01mm on all dimensions. Patience is the skill.

I have done a lot more reading and now know the difference between a wobbler and 2 stroke.
I will graciously admit defeat on the Dremel front. Lathe's, small for home, start from £200 eBay. Affordable but I really have no where to put it...
...30 mins ago I had a brain wave; kit form.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MountainNet-Stroke-Petrol-Motorized-Bicycle/dp/B00VE2FI2I
...don't like giving Amazon my money but £20 cheaper and free postage comp to eBay (And the eBay guy wanted 40 to post, this one is free).
Hopefully I will learn a lot putting it together.
Now, skateboard. I've bought a 40 or 44"er, the longest one I could. Waiting on delivery of both my toys now (getting lots of toys I've always wanted, classic mid life crisis).
On a scale of toking in the sun in the afternoon with a blonde to walking round the corner in to two coppers with a lit blunt, how hard will it be for me to connect this to a board not a bike? It's got thingies that come out of it that'll be whirring around when it's on right? I should just be able to attach a belt and something for the belt to slide on nicely (and Jerry Rig a cover, which I think means hello dremel;).
M
p.s. Thank you all for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back