Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robert1352

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been intrested in building little steam engines for a long time now but I have never really pursude it because I always thought that the cost of tools and materials would be too much for me. Could someone give me an idea about how much they spent to get started, and should I try to buy used equipment? Im not really intrested in building very large engines just the small stuff. Any advice would be most helpful,thank you.

HI
Id always go for as large a machine as money allows and space come to that. That all said Iv seen nothing on here that couldnt be done on a 3.5 inch swing lathe like the Myford ML7.
A small milling machine is a big bonus but not essential as a verticle slide can be fitted on many small lathes allowing limited milling.

Cost wise look to around $1000 for a used decent lathe, try to stear clear of the chinese mini lathes as in my honest opinion the quality isnt there. MInd you many would disagree with me on that one.

Despite al you will be told try a kit from castings forst it will greatly reduce the work you have and a lot of the stress. Id be looking at something like the basic mill engine from Stuart turners. Its a good solid engine and unlike many other kits everything is included and the castings are first rate counter to what you may read. (im on my fourth or fith).

Cheers kevin

Hi Robert,
Welcome to our site.
You don't say the level that you really want to start at.
For a very basic engine, you could build one with just a very cheap drill press, a few basic hand tools and maybe a couple of taps and dies.
If you want to go the expensive way, the sky is the limit, with top of the range lathe and millers costing many thousands of dollars.
Where you want to work also comes into it, if you have a moderate sized shop then you can look at some larger machinery, if you want to do it in your bedroom, then other sizes have to be considered.
It really boils down to budget, space, and whether you want to just try it out before commiting yourself to going all the way. This is most probably the best way to go.
You just might like to have a rummage on this site, they have some very basic starter engines to get you on your way, and a lot of them can be made with very basic tools.

http://npmccabe.tripod.com/steam.htm

You only have to look at the 'coat hanger' engine to see how easy it is to make a beginners engine.

I am sure that if you can give us an idea at where you want to start, the people on here will help you in any way possible.

John

Hello and welcome Robert,

One thing to keep in mind is that some of these little engines can be built with minimun tooling such as a hacksaw, files, hand drill with drills and scrap. It takes me just as long to look at different plans to decide the engine I want to build. When I am looking at plans, I choose one the can be made with the tools at hand. The first one cost me about $12.00 USD. Like with any hobby, there is a budget, but something can be built to make one happy.

Kenny

Welcome to HMEM Robert.

My very first running engine was built with nothing more than a small
bench top drill press and a Dremel Rotary Tool and a bench grinder.
It was Professor McCabe's McCabe Runner. Tooling costs were minimal.
Of course as time went on, I added the other tools one at a time as the
hobby budget allowed. Starting out doesn't necessitate a second mortgage
on your home.

Rick

Robert,

Welcome to the forum. You've found a great bunch of folks!

In regards to your question, Bog has really stating it best. The size of equipment, shop space, the amount you want to or can spend, and the projects you want to tackle will dictate which way you will wind up going. You're post states you want to do small stuff, so I'll aim there.

For the following, I am going to make a couple of assumptions. Those being having a limited budget, and minimal experience in machining. If this isn't the case, please forgive me.

As Bog has said, and engine can be built with hand tools, so that would be the low end of the "small" spectrum, and will allow you to turn out some basic models. There is nothing wrong with that, and it can be a very rewarding way of building things. Some of the examples of engines built with basic hand tools are simply amazing.

For adding machinery, in my opinion, a small lathe would be the first thing that I would personally start shopping for. The prices range depending on size, options, brand, and country of manufacture. With that and some basic tooling, a lot can be done.

Going to the other side of the spectrum, you can buy a CNC lathe with all of the tooling and perform some complex work. As with anything in life, as the number of features increase, so does the price tag and complexity of use. As Bog has said, the sky is the limit as far as how much money can be sunk into the hobby! But, it doesn't have to be!

So, my advice would be to look at the types of projects you invision yourself doing, then set that as your aiming point. Define the equipment you would need for those projects. This doesn't mean that you can't buy a less capable machine, or smaller machine and then upgrade at a later time. Guys do this kind of thing to make sure that they will enjoy the hobby, have the skill, patience, or what ever reason. In saying this, if your target size lathe is a 12x24 for instance, but can only afford a 7x12, then take a look at how much you would not be able to do with the smaller machine. Odds are, the smaller machine will take you to a point in time that you can go for the bigger one, but in the interim time you are making chips.

Start shopping around and doing research on the different equipment you are in the market for to compare prices, capabilities, and the like. A side note, Grizzly has their product manuals online as do some of the others, and this can help you in answering some of the questions that are sure to arrise in capabilities, what something is for, etc. If you want or need to go a less expensive route, then shop around your area for used equipment. This method has some inherint risks associated with it (i.e. Do your homework before buying), but a bundle of money can be potentially saved if you find the "right" deal. There are bargins out there, but you have to be patient and persistent in your pursuits.

Until you have the tools/machinery/materials to tackle your first model, start reading through the different topics on this site and getting a feel for techniques used to perform the different tasks. A simple task can be made very difficult by doing more than needed to get the result that is desired. The many ways to do the same operation, so the operator has to interpret the best way for his/her skill level, experience, and capability.

And ask questions! If there is anything you are wondering about, or if something you see doesn't make sense, post it and the members here will help you out. Taking this one step futher, if you see a picture of a part, and can't figure out how it was machined, why it was set up in that way, what it is made out of, or whatever, then ask the question and have it explained to you. These guys really are willing to pass along the methods that work for them. We all learn from each other.

The most important thing is to have fun! This is a great hobby, and we are glad to have you on board!

Hi Robert
Welcome to the forum. Getting started can be a little intimidating, but it needn't be. You're going to hear opinions all over the spectrum and some will only add to your confusion.

I spoke at length, two weeks ago, with a fellow in eastern NC who builds some pretty darned nice hit and miss engines and a few steam engines using only a drill press, some hand files and dremel tool. His finished engines are works of art and give no clue that he has so few tools. It all boils down to skillfully using what you have or what you can afford the cash and space for.

I've seen super nice work done on very small Unimat Taig and Sherline machines, so the size of your equipment is not a real barrier. I personally run relatively inexpensive Chinese iron and was able to tool up for less than $1000.00, which gave me both, a very usable 7x14 lathe, a remarkably tough little mill drill and a few tools to use on them. . I don't think even Compound Driver can slight the results I'm getting from either machine.

These smaller machines will give you a chance to taste the fruits , so to speak. Then, if you like the taste, you can always go for the whole orchard later on. I'd love to own a Myford or South bend, but it is not in the cards for the time being. I'll eventually upgrade, but for now my little chinese made "toys" continue to dumbfound some of the old timers who see what they've produced.

Kevin...
You do some very nice work... but exclusively recommending high dollar equipment to someone who is still trying to decide if this is a hobby they even really want to get into is just plain wrong. I left a couple machinist boards due to the membership's habit ignoring, abusing and gang flaming those who didn't own high end Myfords, South Bends, Monarch's or Logans. There is and will always be room on this board for all levels of budgets, machine ownership skill sets and interests.

Steve

To all who replied to my post thank you very much for your input. From looking through all of the post im starting to see that for a minimum investmet I can probably get off to a good start ,and im thinking that I should be looking for a good used lathe. I saw one advertised on cragslist for 250.00 dollars but it weighs 600 pounds! I`m not sure I can lift that much off the back of my pickup so i`ll have to keep looking. Untill then can someone recomend a good begginers book on the subject? Thank you alll in advance Robert.

Hi im 15 and live in australia. I am very passionate about building my own steam (or hot air) machine. But i have no clue about how to follow complicated plans etc. I was wondering whats the simplest or best build for a begginer to take on. I have only limited equipment(but i could work on it at school sometimes)

Hi Maplesyrup,

I would suggest you get yourself a couple of books first.
Some good choices are
'Building Simple Model Steam Engines' book 1 by Tubal Cain
and
Making Simple Model Steam Engines by Stan Bray

Both of these books are available in Australia although not at your corner book store.

Making a simple oscillator with a pot boiler is possible to make with just hand tools and a drill but much better results can be obtained if you have access to a lathe.

Just remember if you do build one to follow the book and don't forget to use a safety valve as outlined in the books and if you are at all unsure of anything just ask.
Much better to ask a question than to risk hurting yourself or someone else.

Tony

Welcome Mr Syrup, or may we just call you Maple?

Good choices both, Tony. A good number of outlets should have both books.

http://www.ploughbooksales.com.au/22.htm might be a good starting point.

Wot part of Australia mate?

I found the best price here on the Bray book when I bought mine.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4196452

the McCabe runner is a good beginner engine
tin

runner.jpg

Latest posts

Back