Newbie Introduction

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken I

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
As a recent member of this great site, I just read the welcome and rules stuff - AFTER two posts.

So I'm the sort of Troll who reads the handbook after I've broken something - guilty !

I see I'm supposed to introduce myself - well better late than never.

I am a 59 year old engineer living in Cape Town South Africa. I have my own business designing industrial automation equipment and robotics. I have over 200 machine designs in my back catalogue.

I have a home workshop with the usual toys.

I've always wanted to build a model engine but never got around to it due work pressure and other hobbies - (Racing real cars, toy cars and restoring classic jukeboxes)

Any way I started looking for plans and stumbled across "Gerry's Beam Engine" by Gerry Dyksta and started building it but first I redrew it into metric and posted it (before I read the caution on intellectual property) but since these were free public domain plans I presume Gerry would have no objection - and Gerry (the oldboatguy) if you read this, thank you very much.

While searching for more info I came across this site and signed up.

I have a Stewart twin vertical casting kit on order and there is a local horizontal engine on exhibit I intend to model - will upload the drawings when I do so.

For many years I was the "responsible person" registered certificated engineer for a large factory. As such I was responsible for health and safety - seen more nasty accidents and unsafe practices than you can shake a stick at.

Nicked myself on my bench grinder last night - being certified does not imunise you to your own stupidity.

Ken Irwin

08-11-29_339.jpg

Ken,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

As a recent member of this great site, I just read the welcome and rules stuff - AFTER two posts.

Oh!! NO !!! well really though I am not upset since 468 looks on the "Here's the rules thread" and over 5000 members on the role it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out lots of folks do not read the rules before posting. I am glad you took the time to do so and took the time to post an intro . Welcome to the board.
Tin

Back