Newbie from Philadelphia

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sshire

Reaction score
Hi
I'm very new to machining (4 months)
I bought a Sherline 5400 mill to see if I could learn a few things, but mainly to find out if I might like home machining. I've been working in wood forever and can hand-cut a dovetail in my sleep (probably not a good idea).
With wood, if i'm within 1/64th, all is good. Not so with metal.
In any case, I got completely hooked with the Sherline and have watched the entire set of Rudy Kohoupt videos, read all 3 of Lautard's Bedside readers, and spend spare time browsing Enco and Shars.
While the Sherline is very precise and I do love it, I've been thinking of other projects, in addition to steam engines (I've collected enough plans for 3 lifetimes.)
These projects all seem to be larger than the Sherline so I've ordered a Precision Matthews (If you haven't spoken to Matt at PM, you're in for a treat) PM20 mill, a 2 axis DRO, and a PM 11x27VF lathe. They should arrive in a month or so (pictures for sure)
Since I'm getting the new mill, I've decided to sell the Sherline. I've posted it in the "For Sale" section here before it goes on eBay.
Thanks for all of the knowledge I've gained by reading so many posts on this forum.
Stan

Welcome Stan! As a long time Sherline user I would encourage you to hang on to it unless you need the funds for other things. Even larger projects require small parts and the Sherlines and Taigs are wonderful for that purpose. If nothing else I would hang on to the rotary table which could still be used with a larger machine.

Bill

Bill
I hear you but I'd like to use the Sherline to help pay for the rest of the stuff.
The Sherline RoTab is a beautiful piece but I have a 6" Phase II that was a birthday gift. (Cruel gift; rotary table, no mill yet):)

I feel your pain!! :big: But....the new mill is on it's way at least so that 6" RT WILL have a home soon.

Pretty sure it's on a Slow Boat from China

Stan,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome to the party

Dave
West Chester, PA

Welcome Stan. Good luck with the new PM mill- heard soem good things about it.

Nelson

Hey everyone
Thanks so much for the welcome!
Eagerly awaiting the mill and lathe. Should be in the next 4 weeks.
Gathering enough stuff (end mills, reamers, clamps, etc) and metal so that I can jump in right away.
I've got enough plans for a few years of builds to start and reading, reading, reading. Machinery's Handbook is fascinating but a bit of a thin plot line.
Going to start on a simple wobbler to get my feet wet and then go from there.
Best
Stan

GNR
Thanks!
Still waiting for Mill and lathe. Should be soon

Back