New soldering hearth

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sshire

Reaction score
While waiting for my machines to arrive, I've been rearranging the shop and making coffee for my UPS guy who seems to be making daily deliveries from Enco, MSC, Shars, LMS, etc.
This is the (as yet unused) silver soldering hearth.

The side walls are G-26 soft refractory brick, used in ceramic kiln construction. They only weigh 3 pounds each and reflect most of the heat back (I assume that's a good thing in kilns and silver soldering), absorbing little.
The base is a 12"x12" Solderite board. Another miracle product that reflects back most of the heat. Silver and gold smiths seem to love them. The other interesting and useful property of Solderite boards is that they can be drilled for pins and other supports needed when trying to hold parts stationary.
I'm thinking that (if necessary) a second Solderite board would make a neat "roof" resting on the bricks to further contain the heat.

Any suggestions for improvements would be much appreciated.
Since my total body of knowledge about any of this stuff is 100% from HMEM, Tubalcain's Youtube videos and lots of reading (I'm in the midst of the complete works of Rudy Kouhoupt, Duclos, etc) all input, including "If you heat that thing it's going to explode!", is welcome.
Best
Stan

Soldering Hearth.jpg

a "roof" board isn't necessary and when you use this keep your parts away from the corners, you need enough room to get gasflow to heat the part

Yeah, I would leave the roof off. If it's got sides and a roof, the only way for the heat to get out is right where you are trying to work....

Andrew

Mark and Andrew
Thanks. I did a test solder today. The refractory brick and the solderite board really do reflect the heat back at the part. It (as our brethren from across the pond say) "worked a treat "
Immediately after soldering, I, very carefully, felt the backs of the bricks. They were barely warm.
The roof is out.
Best
Stan

Latest posts

Back