New member from the soutern tip of the Dark Continent: “Africa”

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratau

Reaction score
My name is Danie and is part of the rat race of Pretoria. I'm 54 years of age and work as a scientific glass instrument maker (glassblower) since 1977.

One of my hobby's is to create interesting parts and small projects in my small workshop. I have a Harrison 600 Horizontal mill with a vertical spindle head and swivel table. I recently treated myself with a Heidenhain ND780 DRO for the mill. What a pleasure!!! I manufactured most of the DIN 2080 Quick Change tool shanks myself because these ISO 30 arbours are very seldom found in Africa and with an exchange rate of 8 ZA Rand to a US$ it is almost unaffordable to purchase and import. Shipping is normally more than the invoice value. I see the manufacturing of arbours and other tools as just another interesting project. My lathe is a Boxford Mk. 2 AUD with an old Heidenhain VRZ710 DRO fitted. I also have a bandsaw in rebuild, a very usefull Deckel single lip tool grinder with a full set of metric collets, a 200 Amp AC/DC TIG welder and lots of other tools purchased over meny years.

I love nature, scuba diving, bird watching an do Lot's of shooting on the range, reloading ammunition and hunt when I could afford it.

Mmmm, I almost forgotten my K5 6,2Diesel Chevy Blazer called “Ratau” meaning “the Great Lion’s roar” in one of the 11 South African native languages. This old car is part of all my outdoor adventures.

I am the chairman of the Handgun Hunters association of Southern Africa and if this make you sit up strait have a look at our activities on the web page: www.handgunhuntersa.com there are a couple of pictures in the individual albums found in the Gallery.

Welkom by HMEM Danie ;) wEc1

Groete, Arnold

Welcome Danie,

I always find it so very interesting to see and hear what members in the farthest reaches of the globe are doing in our hobby. Do not be a stranger here and by all means show and tell us about your projects both past and present (be certain to post up pictures of your journeys) as we ALL are crazy about pictures.

BC1
Jim

Welcome Danie, happy you found the site. I hope you will join in the fun in as much as you wish. As already noted...pictures are great too!!

Bill

Welkom Danie!!
Ek is van JHB maar bly nou in Kanada.

Talking about scientific glass...
What kind of tolerances do you guys work with?
I am always thinking of items to use in Stirling engines and high tolerance glass tube is a must!

Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

Andrew

Danie,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Danie,

Welcome aboard... We are very interested in your activities and if you haven't figured it out, we are addicted to pictures!!!

Look forward to sharing some of your workmanship.

Harold

a BIG thank you for all the warm welcomes, I already feel at home.

Welcome Danie,
I am almost as new around here as you are, but have spent hours trawling through these forums which contain so much fantastic information.

I am also originally from the Jacaranda city, but like Andrew now live in Canada.

pretoriajacaranda.png

In the late 70's I was looking for door hinges for my old MG TD car. At the time I was working for the AEC in Pelindaba where I met a glass blower who was restoring a similar vehicle. He introduced me to someone who had MG parts for sale. It is so long ago, I have completely forgotten his name. Not perhaps you?

Clive

Clive

I started work at the AEC Pelindaba on 02 May 1977 and am still here. The guy you are talking about was Phillip Cusens (black hair & beard). What is your sirname and at what department did you worked?

Welcome Danie! what an interesting job you have, I hope you will feel very welcome here.
Stew

Welcome Danie. wEc1 This is truly a worldwide hobby forum where you'll feel right at home.

Regards,
Rudy

Ratau said:
Clive

I started work at the AEC Pelindaba on 02 May 1977 and am still here. The guy you are talking about was Phillip Cusens (black hair & beard). What is your sirname and at what department did you worked?
Hi Danie,
That sounds like him, I remember the black hair and beard :)
I was in the instrumentation department before I was transferred to UCOR where I maintained mass spectrometers. I left in 1978 when I moved to Cape Town.
I can't imagine that there are many others still working there from 1977.
Clive

Latest posts

Back