New member from South Louisiana

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey y'all. After reading around this messageboard for a while, I thought it might be time for me to create an account. My name's Duncan, I'm from Scott, Louisiana, and I've got a very small lathe at home (Taig). I've always loved building things, and earlier this year finally took the plunge and bought myself a lathe. In the meantime, I've gotten a job with my school (the University of Louisiana at Lafayette) working in the machining lab, and I have a job lined up once I graduate as a machinist in the tool room of a local plastics injection company. I've made a couple things on my lathe, and I'm in the middle of my first engine, a wobbler. I'll probably not post too much on this site, I'm mostly a lurker, but I appreciate all the great knowledge contained here! Thanks for reading!

Post more than not too much. We can't give feedback unless we see what you are doing. Many of us are only a few steps ahead of you and I am sure there are others following as well. My first two engines were wobblers and I expect to make more in the future.

Thayer

Hi Duncan

Welcome from the other side of the pond.

I agree with Thayer, post lots, and pictures, even the "First attempt didn't go too well" ones

"the only silly questions are the ones you haven't asked"

Quote from someone here, I can't remember who but very true

Regards Mark

I'll try to post pictures of the things I'm working on, I do know how much I love to look at other people's pictures. I'm much more the type of person to research a problem before asking a question, even though asking the question first would be a lot quicker. Some of my favorite pictures are of interesting workholding setups. I'll try to remember to post pictures of any interesting workholding setups I come up with.

Welcome Duncan from another Louisiana lurker. I am probability more south then you are about an hour drive.

Do

Hello to the guys from Louisiana. I am from Lafayette and I actually joined here in hopes to find someone willing to maybe teach me one or two things about all this. I love all things mechanical including model engines. I actually have a project in mind that I have been somewhat designing and somewhat getting others to design and build. Please PM me if your interested in touching base or if you would be interested in machining a few parts for me and Ill be happy to pay you for your time/efforts. Id like to learn to be able to work on some of this myself here and there, but just getting the tools required is something Id like to hold off on due to it being a major purchase. Once I get this project complete and out of my head (yes its eating me for two years now and Im almost at finish line), then id be willing to spend the cash required to move forward.

Latest posts

Back