New Guy needs help

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seis

Reaction score
Hello I am in need of some help. I asked a firend and he pointed me here. I am looking to make my own pulleys, I can't find any online, and am interested in this one...http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=320344478038
any information would be helpful and appreciated. I only need small pulleys, aluminum and no bigger than 1 1/2 round. Never had a Lathe so I really don't know if this one is good for my needs.

Thanks guys

What you are looking at is a TAIG Lathe that apears to be complete and in good shape the web site is here TAIG Tools
These are made in USA and a good hobby lathe. They are still in production so spares, accessories and factory support should not be an issue.
The TAIG lacks features typically found in more industrial equipment such as a compound and the ability to cut threads.
It would be quite capable of making the pulleys you need.You will need a hand full of cutters and a read of a basic lathe manual to get going. Hope this helps.
Also do not see a belt so you may need to add that to your start up list.
Tin

Thanks for the info, I am really new to the lathe thing, I am just frustrated that I can't find any online at an affordable price.
what do you mean taper... compound? I was going to just basically machine a pulley, put it on the vice and drill and tap a set screw. am I going about this all wrong?

Assuming you're making a pulley for a V-belt, somehow you need to be able to cut the angled sides of the belt groove.
Lathes, especially larger ones, typically have another sliding way, called the compound, that the toolpost mounts on. The compound can be swiveled so the tool can be advanced into the work at an angle. Travel is typically limited to a few inches, but for the sides of a belt groove and such it's plenty.

kvom suggests using a tool ground to the profile of the groove you intend to cut (he suggests 60 degrees included angle, though I'm not sure that's the spec for a Vbelt groove) and plunging it in to cut the groove. I have my doubts as to how well that would work. You would be making what, for that lathe, would be a HUGE cut, and I think you'd get too much chatter to make it practical.

If you want to make pulleys for Taig-size belts, it's no problem to jam a 1/4" 60-deg V bit straight in. I've got several made just that way from before I had bigger tools.

For larger size pulleys, you can do it by parting out the center and carefully doing the angled sides with a V-bit, but it's much more of a nuisance to get even.

I totally understand what you guys mean now, thanks for the explination. The pulley I would like to have a U not v but I still get what you mean. I think I am going to try and win this one. it seams like the one perfect for aluminum, brass and copper, not really heavy metal. Basically steam engine parts to make up as I need them

Hi

A compound is available for the taig. I got one to cut the tapers on a collet-type fitting to hold the flywheel on the '47 Woodson that I built(see avatar to your left). It's not the most rigid set-up I've ever used, but with small cuts you'll get there eventually. While I can see lots of uses for a larger lathe,(Yes, Dear, we DO need a Monarch 10EE) I've been using my Taig for several years now and do not regret buying it.

Cheers, Joe

G'day Seis.

One of the first things I made on my unimat were some ali pulleys, and it also lacks the compound slide.

Not knowing any better I just used a sharply pointed HSS bit that came with the machine - probably somewhere around 30 degrees, and it works just fine.

I cut a little bit, back out, traverse the slide a mm or two and cut again, then go back and cut a bit deeper where I began. Going back and forth like that works for me and I don't have problems with chatter.

Although if I let my tool chatter near the end I get a bit of texture in the groove to help the drive band bite.

Hi Seis
A google for
makingv-beltpulleys.pdf
(Note no spacing) may be of assistance.
Cheers
BR

Thanks Mark One, I plan on doing just that, how you explained you made your u without the compund slide. If I win the item that is. And thanks for that belt info, looks like it'll need one, but that isn't bad at all.

Latest posts

Back