New arrival

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sshire

Reaction score
I have this philosophy about tooling. Most of the cutting stuff is import (read "cheap".) The measuring stuff (mikes, DROs, DTI) is where I'd rather spend the money. The end mills aren't getting dull quickly on a diet of brass and aluminum and, if it doesn't fit in the Drill Doctor, it gets replaced when dull or doesn't cut cleanly. I must admit that on the rare occasion that I've gotten a "good" end mill, I could see a difference in feel and surface finish.
All of the micrometers(1" to 4" outside and depth mike) are used Ebay Starretts with the exception of a new Starrett Digital O-1". Also a new Interapid DTI is in residence.
That said, I have two "import" dial indicators ( could be Harbor Freight or Enco. Don't remember.)
The plastic window and rotating rings either fall off with regularity or bind so much that the mag base moves if I zero the dial.
In truth, the only time I use them is to indicate parts in the 4-jaw, but...
Enco had a 25% off, one day sale last week and this showed up in the brown truck yesterday. A thing of beauty.

I've found a lot of good buys on ebay, you just need to be careful of the seller and check him out. Most things I buy I try to use Paypal because they will help you get your money back from bad vendors. A lot of the tools I have are from retired co-workers that will never use them again if you are still working keep an eye open for these sales. If not maybe you know someone that is in a shop that can help keep an eye open for you. The older tool for the most part are American made but look close the new are sometimes China, Korea, and the like.

Todd

Latest posts

Back