Needle Files

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrahamC

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a good set of needle files and have done some research.

You can find these in the very cheap and inexpensive to the very expensive range - Nicholson, Simmonds, and other no name asian imports.

I ran across a name that I was unfamiliar with and was wondering if anyone is familar with the brand name Tome Feteira made in Portugal.

cheers, Graham in Ottawa Canada

the good ones will do the job the cheap ones may work . I have several sets of varied quality I cant say I see a major difference but I do not think I have used them on steel much. the cheap ones are not likely as hard as the good ones.
Tin

Thanks Tin,

I have used a variety of different brands over the year - usually inexpensive sets that cost about $10 or so for a set of 6 or so. They have all worked.

I just gave my away my last bunch to my grandson who has indicated an interest in building model cars (along with a bunch of other not often used but decent quality hand tools). My reason being two fold - to encourage him to use his hands and to give me a reason to replace with something of a bit better quality.

I have rediscovered the use of hand files and the more I practice, the better I get, and the more I do and so the desire for something of a bit more quality tool wise.

cheers, Graham

Hi

I bought a set of diamond coated files a year or so back and they are really good. Work Ok on all types, ally, brass, steel and stainless steel. Not that expensive either and worth the extra.

Cheers

Rich

Rich, do you have a brand name or link to these files? I need a good set of super small files. The set I have are junky Chinese and need to be replaced.

Here is what I have as a good set. Swiss files
no these are not mine for sale.
illustration purposes only but if someone wants to jump on these your call . Probably a decent price.

OK the files I have come from William Dixon Co Carlsdad NJ T/A Grobet USA
File catalog here:
http://grobetusa.com/catalogs/CatFile2008.pdf
Tin

I Don't know anything about computers, but when I clicked on the link my comp crashed. Cant restore, so I had to restart and lost all my data.

Unrelated??

-MB

HMMM the first link is to ebay the second to Grobet USA just tested them both work for me.
Tin

It was the second link (PDF) that crashed 2 times so I gave up.

Not a big deal, just thought I might save someone the grief.

Thanks for checking. Must be my old clunker of a computer.

My comp guy has been on me to replace everything but the key board. The screen is difficult to read and colors are way off.

Most of the purple mother capacitors are a little swollen and leaking.. kinda like my old legs. :big:

Thanks again, -MB

I have seen the Otto Frei store, lots of good quality tools.

However, they want to charge the most expensive USPS method at near $30 for what would amount to about a half pound package which is a bit excessive - that is by ordering through their website. I may just call them and see if they would mail it by First class international postage which would be around $5.00

There is a pretty decent jewellers supply in Western Canada - Lacy West - that also has some nice stuff problem is their list price is higher and they want to charge nearly as much for Priority Postage.

I will sort it out and find a decent source for want I end up deciding on.

cheers, Graham

I bought a new set of diamond needle files last year. Thats a first for me Ive always used teh traditional style file..... and I will in future. Im afraid I dont like them much.

Its a feel thing, I cant 'feel' them biting into the metal. There is no doubt that they do but it isnt what Im accustomed to...

So I guess im in the market as well...... 8)

Thanks Allen,

I have bought a couple of items from that seller, I will take a closer at his offerings.

cheers, Graham

Latest posts

Back