Nano Machines?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Ali,

If engine building is your cup of tea and you are looking for a small lathe because of the foot print or space , I would advise against these little toys.
Even if by a miracle the lathe happens to have some accuracy it is just too flimsy and small to do any usfull work. Sieg's own C1 ( I have this one ) would be a much better alternative and then you could either add the bolt on millng head ( X1 without the table) to the side of the mill at a later stage, buy a Sieg X1L and these will be a better choice.
Alternatively again if you are restricted by space , you could do worse than buying a Sherline or a Taig lathe, expensive in comparison but for a reason, these lathes are just in another league compared even to a C1 never mind this little toy. You will soon either out grow this lathe and wish you had a better, larger lathe or it will make you fed up with model engineering and give up all together because you will not be able to make anything precise enough or big enough.
Engine building of any sort particularly small scale IC ones require a great deal of skill and very precise instruments, I doubt very much if this lathe meets the requirement.
Hope that you didn't mind the advice.

Regards,

A.G

yes you right, maybe the C2 is better ,
no question about taig and sherline, they are small but can do more like this
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

ali

Hi Tin

like i say, im still amatir , new come for this mechanical world, im still learn it.
because im not from mechanical, im chemical, so give me time :)
yes i will post some next.

by the way, i live in surabaya, Indonesia (it is close from bali)

regards
Ali

Ali : No shame in being a amateur The definition is: one who engages in a pursuit, study, science, or sport as a pastime rather than as a profession.

Also no shame in being new to the hobby of model engineering. I was in my late thirties when I started learning machining , welding and purchased my first lathe. Some folk do not start til retirement.
The folks here are helpful. There are guys here who have gone from just getting started to building a running engine in a moth or two . but remember your shop your journey.

I work at chemical plants and talk to engineers on a regular basis. You are wise to learn mechanical as well even for fun on a small scale.

As far as your machines they are stocked by Littlemachineshop.com in California USA. they carry all three machines drill press mill and lathe and al the parts to make one machine into another. The owners started out as amateur machinists and started a business to support the hobby and owners of import machines. I usually talk to the owners when they come to the east coast of the USA. for Engine shows. I have not discussed this line of tool with them I will try to in a couple months. IMHO Chris and Carl would not carry these machines unless they believed them to be usable to the hobby and a valuable addition to the Seig line up. I would also expect that they tested these machines before placing orders.

We are here to help folks select machines for there shop. More important we are here to help you use and get the most out of what you have.
You may be limited to tiny engines but there is no reason not to make ones on the tools you have.

Adding you location to your personal text block or you signature line will let folks see your location and be able to help better.

by the way, i live in surabaya, Indonesia (it is close from bali)
Makes sense my IP search usually pegs the nearest large city . but gives me an idea of country and general area.

Hope you enjoy and learn here
Tin

hii Tin

thanks before, ;)
that's why im asking about the CO2 engine plans, because it really small engine which i can try on this nano lathe. lol.

thanks
ali

While I obviously haven't seen one up close, I hope the machine quality is a bit better than the video quality. :hDe:

I'm been quite curious on these nano lathes for a while and will ultimately get one I suspect, as looking at it, it appears better made than most of the standard and readily available, (cheap) 8mm watchmakers lathes floating around that i've seen? Supposedly these were used for quite accurate work? Something like this would be a perfect starter for my little engineers, especially as my daughter likes making pens and finials. Although even a Manson is adequate for her right now.

cheers,
Ian
I'm not sure what machines you refer to as "cheap Jewelers lathes, but some of the jewelers lathes are the most precise, most expensive, high precision lathes existing. Look at Levin, Schaublin 70, Debyshire, Cowells, and others. Ball bearing 0.0002" headstock.

I'm not sure what machines you refer to as "cheap Jewelers lathes, but some of the jewelers lathes are the most precise, most expensive, high precision lathes existing. Look at Levin, Schaublin 70, Debyshire, Cowells, and others. Ball bearing 0.0002" headstock.

I'll not be trading in my Boley any time soon .....

Boley.jpg

I wasn't inferring cheap as in quality but literally as in cost, such as the basic and unadorned Boley/White types that go regularly for around the $200-$300 range on Ebay. I've seen some high end units complete with cases that are almost breathtakingly beautiful, but these go in the thousands. Some of the older and basic ones appear infrequently around the $400-$500 mark, but I know the several I looked at just recently were actually considerably cheaper than the old collet sets for them. I haven't run a dial indicator on my ones, but from the machining and wear I strongly suspect most of these neglected units suffer a bit from lack of accuracy? I could be wrong there though. The point I was making however, was that looking at the machine and build quality of these old units, how much different could the accuracy of the nano ones be given the advances in machining? And i'm not comparing the top end Swiss or similar types here.

The other thing which you answered, was my question of the original build accuracy of these machines, as all the units I have seen are somewhat old and well used, so I have nothing to go by for comparison. 0.0002" is quite amazing and I suspect certainly as good or better than my modern lathe.

I do love these old ones though. Nice using something with a bit of history behind it.

cheers,
Ian

hi Nick

yes im just arrived in this forum, looking for some stirling plans and another small engine project :) im still amatir with engine because im chemical student not mechanical. greetings.

Ali

Pak Ali
Lathe ini tak jadi/guna. Bili itu yang besar sidikit.Sieg ada jual.

Tengok foto. Lathe saya yang besar sidikit. Foto no. dua -------engine yang kechil.

GusTeng ,Singapore.

IMG_1302.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

Last edited:
Pak Ali
Lathe ini tak jadi/guna. Bili itu yang besar sidikit.Sieg ada jual.

Tengok foto. Lathe saya yang besar sidikit. Foto no. dua -------engine yang kechil.

GusTeng ,Singapore.

yes you right. itu manix lathe, tentu harga tidak bersahabat. saya tertarik sieg C2 .

terima kasih
ali

Gus - like the picture of your shop out on balcony there. It looks so inviting!

What is your average temperature there? Was down to around zero (F) here week about, but better now.

Jack
Loveland, Colorado, USA

Gus - like the picture of your shop out on balcony there. It looks so inviting!

What is your average temperature there? Was down to around zero (F) here week about, but better now.

Jack
Loveland, Colorado, USA

Hi Jack,
Out here in Singapore,its everlasting summer time throughout the year.
May is the hottest and December-----January wettest.
Temperature 27-------33. Weather today 30C day time--------24C night time.
Machineshop time 9am------12 noon 4pm-------6pm when the kitchen yells dinner is ready.
Was working in Nanjing.China for years and no boat fishing. No fun winter -5C Summer 30----39C.

yes you right. itu manix lathe, tentu harga tidak bersahabat. saya tertarik sieg C2 .

terima kasih
ali

Hi Ali,
Selamat Datang.(Welcome)
By buying the "Nano" lathe you are hooked into buying a bigger lathe to build ambitious and big mini masin.
I missed Sourabaya and the food and the Javanese coffee..Was working there for a while.If I had stayed on for another 12 months,my bahasa would have been great.
After 6 months in Sourabaya,I cannot shake off my Sourabaya accent.
Drop me a note if you happen to visit Singapore.Abang Gus will buy Adek Ali lunch.
Please post your barang barang.
See you

Gus Teng.

hi Gus

very warm welcome from you, thank you so much.
yess, your bahasa is not to bad:D , i still understand that, but you are using melayu speak that used in malaysia, it's little different with indonesi speak. but it's ok.

if you love coffe, like me, im the coffe drinker, you must try TORAJA coffe that's the best coffe in the world not luwak coffe. robusta have 0,8 % caffein , arabica have 1,6 % caffein, but toraja have 3,2 % caffein.

i have bread & cafe store in surabaya. if you here i can take you visit the many historial place in surabaya.

terima kasih
ali

sama-sama gus, saya tunggu project rotary table nya for posting.

ali

Gus and Ali greetings in the native tongue are great but please include English translation. Please.
Tin

You can buy these from LMS. All 3 machines seem to be able to convert. One machine can be converted to the other with th appropriate kit.
Kenny

Latest posts

Back