My Wobbler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bogstandard

Sid,

That is one monster of a wobbler, it runs great, never seen one run that slow before.

Well done.

John

Sid nice job! I watched it without sound the first time and was thinking... is that a hockey puck? I remembered to turn on the sound for the next view and you answered that for me. Very cool!

Eric

got a lot more to do to it. the bearing is not so good real sloppy and i need to find material to make a flywheel. it might make a good massager (oh honey come here) ;D
i want to make a reverse thing for it i got it figured out in my head just need to do it. it ran back wards when i changed the air flow. any who not to bad for a guy like me. i think. i want to make a boiler too. but i need to read more before i do that.

this is about 1 or 2 lbs steam i think. i check the gauge with air first before steam.
blow off valve is at 20 psi

http://www.youtube.com/v/Wm0UkmZnxo8&hl=en

Sid,

Nice Wobbler ;D, Hocky puck is a nice touch, I always say use what you have laying around, and it sure works nicely :bow:

What is your bore and stroke?

-Bret

bore is 5/8 stroke 1 1/16 rod & piston made from an old shock absorber shaft.

I like your engine Sid, sweet runner ;D
It is one of the designs on the short list for my second engine.... but I think I might lean more toward a horizontal??
I'm still going to make one... just not right away. ;D

I like the hockey puck... We don't have a lot of those around here!
Did you build that boiler? I like to see them run on steam ;)

Ralph.

yes i did make the boiler. had a heck of a time finding it on the web. i was reading a bunch of stuff off the web and i saw this boiler, then i lost where i seen it. finally found it again then i built it. its from a 6" pipe with caps. ill take a pic of it. it hold pressure well. i tried air up to 100lbs and decided that was good for me. i dont intend on it going much past 20 psi hot with steam. although i (think) it will go higher. im just scared of steam and presure in confined areas. it was easy to build.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/tig56/P1010865.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/tig56/P1010864.jpg
P1010863.jpg

PopMechanicsBoiler1963-4.jpg

PopMechanicsBoiler1963-3.jpg

PopMechanicsBoiler1963-1.jpg

PopMechanicsBoiler1963-2.jpg

I can remember, as a kid, reading the original Popular Mechanics in which that boiler was featured.

One cautionary note here. If I were building that boiler in today's Brave New World, I wouldn't buy the pipe and end caps during the same trip to the store. :)

mklotz said:
If I were building that boiler in today's Brave New World, I wouldn't buy the pipe and end caps during the same trip to the store. :)
...or try to get on an airplane with that thing in your luggage.;)

Great job on the the engine and the vids! ;D

Thank you for the pic's Sid. I agree with Marv... looks a bit suspect! :-\ :big:
I've got to work now but will read it all later ;D

Ralph.

Interesting Boiler. I was wondering about the pressure gauge, can you use a regular air-pressure gauge or do you need to use one that is designed for steam? ???

Here is a video of the first Wobbler I made. It's from the same plan Brian is doing one from now. My approach to the Loctite dilemma was to go headless ;D I did mill false hex cap screws on top. The cylinder Flywheel and crank are 304 SS. The piston and rod gland are brass. Base and frame are aluminum. I made 3 at one time ,completed 2 and still have one in kit form.
Dick

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=9KfjEnQENoM[/ame]

Good stuff Dick.... How hard was it to mill those hex heads into the cylinder?

Why 3? are 2 gifts or is there one for each house? :big:

I like the flywheel design also, Are you a manual or CNC kind of builder?

Yes I know Mr inquisitive.... But that's how I learn more ;D

Ralph.

P.S. I snuck a peek at you scotch yoke too.... Nice!

Hi Ralph, Thanks for the positive comments. I made 3 because I usually give one to my brother( he give me electronic projects he does) and I wanted a spare in case of a fatal error. I made them about 3 yrs. ago during the winter.Both this one and the scotch yoke have run many hours. I only found this forum this past New Years day. (Lurker off and on for 6 months) I have a Lagun with an early proto-trak 2 axis control. That is what I used for this one. I did similar bolt heads in the past with a vice on a x y table on a rotary table.
Dick

Latest posts

Back